Eating on Air Asia

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Eating on Air Asia Kuala Lumpur Reviews

alexchan alexchan
Quite good airplane food ... but don't trust the pictures Sep 25, 2008
Something seems missing from this trip ... after some thought it was the realisation that I haven’t had a cold glass of white wine with my airline meals. That’s a drawback of flying a budget airline ... but the food on Air Asia isn’t bad at all.

The meals available for sale vary ... depending on which of the four airlines (two Malaysian, one Thai, one Indonesian) in the Air Asia brand family you’re flying with.

The following meals on the Malaysian shorthaul airline were sampled and the verdict was as follows:

Roti Jala: You get a whiff of the heavenly curry as soon as you rip the plastic top of the meal box. But the curry is only sauce ... no nothing like chicken (as described) or even potatoes. The lacey-bread roti jala (4 pieces) themselves were yummy and filled with chicken mince as described.

Asian Fried Rice: The fried rice was OK but not as pungent as I would have liked. The three sticks of satay were miniscule but they certainly packed in a lot of flavour. The anchovies weren’t crunchy but that’s hard to achieve unless they’re packaged separately as on Malaysia Airlines for their nasi lemak breakfast.

Nasi Lemak: Disappointment compared to the picture in the menu but still tasty ... but I’ve had tastier Nasi Lemak on flights before. As with their Fried Rice, it is hard to achieve crunchy anchovies with an all-in-one pack. If you’re flying out of KL Low Cost Carrier Terminal (LCCT) in the morning, have the Nasi Lemak Special at the Asian Kitchen beforehand ... far far superior for just MYR1 more than the Air Asia version.

As a summary, nothing looks like the pictures in the menu ... but still pretty tasty.
Yummy roti jala with divine curry …
Nasi lemak in real life.
Nasi lemak on paper.
Lengyinyin says:
I love the Roti Jala too. Always order this whenever I fly Air Asia. :)
Btw, you can also check what food is available online before you fly, and booked beforehand. So, you know what you'll be getting once on board.
Posted on: Apr 10, 2011

Related Travel Blogs About Eating on Air Asia

Travel blog so far
January 03 2007     Oliver. You’re late! Carl barked at me. We had scheduled a meeting to run through the current situation on the recruitment sales pipeline.  I checked my watch…air.   For today I had several plans all involving certain death. Firstly I was to get out of bed early and get on a the back of a pick…

Check Kuala Lumpur Hotel Deals