Eating in Portugal

Eating in Portugal Reviews

davidx davidx
A few tips Mar 08, 1999
I feel that Portuguese cuisine has not achieved the recognition it deserves. Certainly I have very much enjoyed most meals I have eaten there. However there are a number of things useful to know before you go for the first time. Of course I am talking about genuine Portuguese restaurants - not those that try to give the English 'home from home.'

First it pays to recognise that nothing is free. Those nibbles placed on your table will cost - each of them - and if you start on anything you might as well finish. The one exception is bread and butter. Whereas this is charged, if you don't eat it you may have to pay just as much as a 'cover charge.'

Next, remember tha portions tend to be enormous. It seems to be getting less common but some places still have full or half portions. You need to be really hungry to get a full portion, when halves are available. In a large number of places, where there is only one size of portion, it is quite acceptable to ask for two plates and share it.

Be careful about ordering side dishes - these are big as well. Once I was in Bragan├ža for one night from Spain and I forgot all this. I was hungry and there is a very good restaurant in the Cidadela. I ordered a meal (no halves on the menu) and several side dishes. If I had sriously set out to eat it all, I should still be there - but it hurt to leave any of that delicios paid-for food!