2611 North Central Avenue Phoenix Arizona, Phoenix, AZ, USA
Durants - picture from yelp.com

Durants Phoenix Reviews

ambria ambria
Great Steaks! Dec 09, 2011
Durant's is one of the oldest restaurants in Phoenix, it opened in the ‘50s. It is centrally located in the downtown Phoenix area near Central Aveune and Thomas Road.

My boyfriend took me there on our first date and it was awesome. In my opinion, it has a classic gangster vibe; it was dark with a lot of reds. We walked through the kitchen and I got an instant flashback of the Goodfellas movie. I loved it.

I recommend any steak, haha, and the choco-tini's. I don't think you can go wrong with anything though, even the bread they served was tasty.

The prices are a bit high, but everything is made to order and the portions are pretty big. You can also hang out at the bar if you just want to enjoy the atmosphere sans a big meal.
picture from yelp.com
Amanda Amanda
May 14, 2007
I really, REALLY, miss Paul.

I spent close to 5 years doing almost purely political work; not something I wanted to do. I only had one client that wasn't a political client - a hysterical, Jack and Coke drinking, cigar smoking, beach loving, happy go lucky geezer named Paul.

Paul lived in Florida; but came to visit Phoenix on a regular basis to check up on things. For me, visiting clients meant only one thing - client dinners; and when it came to Paul, client dinners meant only one thing as well - a night at Durants.

Durants has been a Phoenix icon since 1950. It looks a little dodgy from the exterior; run down and a bit cheesy. Parking is in the back, and you enter through the busy kitchen; they ironical try to "class" this entrance up by laying out an old red carpet for you that runs from outside entrance to dining room entrance.

Once in the dining room, the look changes completely. It's filled with the old style look of polished dark wood, red upholstery, and old wallpaper.

This is a classic steak, baked potato, salad, Bourbon or martini type of place - they know what they do, and they do it well.

Prior to Durants - and Paul - I had never tried Oysters Rockefeller. Our first time there, after much loud cajoling, he got me to try it; and it was fantastic. I have since tried it other places, and it's been fine; but here at Durants, I have to say it's exceptional. Their shrimp cocktail, spinach artichoke dip, and fresh dungeness crab cakes are all excellent starters as well.

They have a lot of different main courses to choose from; filet mignon, lamb chops, porterhouse steaks, some seafood and chicken selections etc.; but the highlight of the menu has to be the slow roasted prime rib. It's spectacular and I highly recommend it.

The deserts don't let you down as a final course. The "Trey of Creme Brulee", three different selections of flavors of creme brulee on one platter, are the signature dessert; but the strawberry shortcake, cheesecake, fresh berries... all are excellent.

Prior to tax, tip, and alcohol, prepare to spend close to $50.00 US per person. This is a place to come for special occasions, or when the company is paying. :-)

I haven't seen Paul in a year and a half now; but whenever I drive down Central Avenue, which divides Phoenix from West to East, and pass Durants, I think of him and do a silent salute - to great times and fantastic meals at Durants.
ccjbeachbum says: