Siena, Italy

Duomo Siena Reviews

Pearl510 Pearl510
Jul 01, 2007
The Siena Duomo is said to be the most beautiful religious building in Tuscany (though it's truly amazing I do not agree completely, as I'm in love with Florence). But any way, the duomo is indeed one of the most unique churches (domes) I have ever seen. It has a very special atmosphere hanging around it, and the stripe-covered walls make it all pretty authentic.

The building is Gothic and the construction of it started in the 12th century. Yet it took the Italians over 200 years to finish their masterpiece. Most remarkable are the special marble floors, the facade and its decorations, the chapel, and the fresco's in the library (dating from the 16th century).

Many of the artworks in the Dome are copies, since the originals are sheltered in the Museo dell'Opera del Duoma (the dome museum, underneath the cathedral). One can admire the golden and silver artworks from the dome here as well.

I feel like one cannot visit Siena without visiting the Duomo, and taking some time for it. The building is of a priceless value and the sight of it will sure astonish you. As Eric suggested, a small entrance fee is asked for entering the dome (a couple of Euros, not much). But pay it, the duomo surely is worth some money.
Eric Eric
Feb 09, 2006
The duomo is probably the main sight to see in Siena. The interior of the cathedral is intricately decorated with striped marble columns. Surrounding the tops of the columns are the carved heads of 172 popes, which is both interesting and slightly creepy. While the interior is nice, I think the most impressive part of the duomo is its amazing facade. The gothic looking design is even more impressive and colorful at sunset, when the shadows play over the detailed carvings.
Inside of the duomo.
The popes are watching.
Facade at sunset.
Eric says:
Most churches don't charge fees to enter. However, I think the Duomo charges a small fee for entrance, around 3-5 Euro if I remember correctly.
Posted on: Feb 10, 2006
annashton2006 says:
I like to visit some kind of these attractions when I get a chance. It is very interesting. Do they charge fees when enter inside? Thank Eric.
Posted on: Feb 09, 2006

Related Travel Blogs About Duomo

Cattedrale di Siena
On a wet and miserable day we travelled out from Florence to its former rival, Siena. Until the black plague of the 14th century, Florence and Siena competed in every arena, both being enormously wea…Siena, as the Duomo of Florence, while beautiful on the outside, is surprisingly drab inside. The inside of the Duomo
The train ride from Rome to Florence is fairly quick and the trains are nice in Italy, but the best part of the train ride is the view of Tuscan countryside.  Villas perched on top of rolling hi…Siena while in Florence and we are so glad we did.  The Duomo in Siena is the most beautiful…
Siena, a Beautiful Medieval Town
We stayed in Siena for a few nights while exploring Tuscany and we loved it!  It's a very beautiful walled city with buildings in varying shade of browns and golds.  It's rich history …Siena's Duomo is a beautiful example of Italian Romanesque architecture and among all of the beauty inside are wonderfully…

Check Siena Hotel Deals