Dunrobin Castle

KW10 6SF, Golspie, United Kingdom

Dunrobin Castle Golspie Reviews

aizhanY aizhanY
Beautiful Dunrobin Castle in September Aug 18, 2011
When I was studying for my Masters in England I decided to visit several castles and palaces throughout England and Scotland as a reward for myself for completing my studies. I know it sounds cheesy, but that's the way I am ...

Dunrobin was one of my favourites. The other most favourite one being the Howard Castle (but I will hopefully write another review for that).

Actually at the beginning of my trip I didn't plan on going to Dunrobin. But a taxi driver in Inverness recommended it to me, when I told him that I was going to the Isle of Skye. And I do listen to what locals have to recommend!

And I'm glad that I did. You can get to the Castle by a special train that goes from Inverness and stops at Dunrobin castle train station by request (so don't forget to request it and you have to wave at the driver of the train when you see it coming when going back!).

It is very convenient as you just have to cross the road and you are on the entrance gate of Dunrobin.

The Castle has a picturesque location! It is overlooking the ocean and has a Versailles-inspired garden. It looks like a Castle I used to see from many fairy-tale books I have read when being a child, which is a second reason why I liked it so much.

In a sunny day explore the gardens instead of going straight to the inside, as the weather in Scotland is very changeable. Take your time to stroll around, wait for the falconry demonstration held in the gardens. The falconer is actually quite an extraordinary man, who trained an eagle, who was so adjusted to sitting in the cage (been there for years) to fly! You can take a small rout around the castle if you want to go to the sea, unfortunately the gates of the Castle that lead straight to the sea are closed for visitors.

I would recommend seeing the interiors of the castle and learning its history, which is at times sad. And I would say that one of the Duchesses of Sutherland was actually really pretty. I'm not going to tell which one exactly, it's for you to see.

But one thing that got me a little upset was a room with stuffed tigers and lions made into a carpet. (Oh I hate those!). So do mind that they have them if you are a bit sensitive like me.

I didn't stay in the surrounding area and went back to Inverness. However, for those who love the nature and the sea I would highly recommend staying at Golspie B&Bs or nearby cottages and hotels. It is a place to be if you want a serene atmosphere and a fresh air. (http://www.dunrobincastle.co.uk/local-area/accommodation.htm).

Check Golspie Hotel Deals