Duke of York's Theatre

St Martin's Lane, London, United Kingdom

Duke of York's Theatre London Reviews

maryjane88 maryjane…
One of London's finest West End theatres Sep 10, 2012
I recently took a trip to London's Duke of York's Theatre. I love London Theatre and had not yet visited this particular building as I tend to see large scale musical productions. As the Duke of York's Theatre has just 650 seats (this is relatively small for London) it tends to house plays instead of all singing and all dancing shows. The theatre's size and choice of productions makes a trip to this particular venue to see a show a particular intimate experience.

I forked out a fair bit (just over £50 - which I suppose for premium seats at the theatre isn't so bad) to sit in the centre of row C in the Stalls. The seats were very comfortable and I had a perfect view of the stage, it really was wonderful.

The interior of the auditorium looks great in traditional golds and creams, so I really felt I was among high society! The drinks were reasonably expensive but such is life when you are in central London.

The show I saw was called 'Jumpy' and was a transfer from the Royal Court Theatre. The Royal Court has a great relationship with the Duke of York's Theatre and often transfers it's shows there for a West End run. I think this is wonderful as the Royal Court tends to promote new writers, and Jumpy was written by the up and coming female dramatist, April De Angelis.

All in all a trip to the Duke of York's was a wonderful experience; the staff were friendly, the theatre was beautiful and easy to get to and the show was very entertaining. A perfect evening out.
The Duke of York's Theatre