Ducks at the Peabody Hotel

Ducks at the Peabody Hotel - The Fountain

Ducks at the Peabody Hotel Memphis Reviews

ahtibat17 ahtibat17
What a Spectacle! Nov 29, 2009
It is quite a spectacle, but when in Memphis, one must go to the Peabody Hotel and watch the ducks, led by a duckmaster, parade down the red carpet.

It all started in 1933 when the General Manager of the Hotel had too much to drink and as a joke, place his live duck decoys in the fountain. From there, a tradition was born.

Everyday, the ducks march to the fountain at 11 AM, and back at 5 PM. In the meantime, they live on the hotel's rooftop.

I didn't know how crowded this would be. Me and my co-travelers arrived at 4:15, to get a good viewing spot, and I highly recommend that. I claimed a section right by the red carpet and by the time the procession began, hundreds of people had gathered around the red carpet, fountain, and even around the balcony above. I thought how silly was it for us to be standing here, watching ducks walk a red carpet and get on an elevator. But, it's one of those things you do because others had recommended it and you don't want to miss out!
The Fountain
Me and my co-travelers awaiting th…
Jason, the duckmaster, leading the…
bigmac993 says:
Thanks for doing this review. I have been to the Peabody in Memphis several times for conventions and vactions and always love to watch the ducks!
Posted on: Nov 29, 2009