Duche D'uzes

Place du Duché, Uzes, France

Duche D'uzes Reviews

bernard69 bernard69
Duché d'Uzès,a castle where I wasted 17 euro (around 24 USD) and saw...no ghost! Aug 26, 2011
I was a lil hesitant when I saw the entry fee of the home of the Duke of Uzès,premier title in the peerage of France:17 euro!!!(probably to limit the number of common visitors?)but as I knew according my green Michelin guide that the ducal palace is in a way a nine centuries potted history of France,I came in.

People from the door before the fence can have a free glance at the main courtyard,the Renaissance facade,the Middle Ages tower and ramparts with corner turrets.

Following the female guide who spoke with a monotonous and clipped voice,we discovered the cellars showing a secret underground passage way,a so-called ghostroom but the ghost was gone tanning...then climbing up the Renaissance stone staircase,we entered the reception rooms:the restored blue grand salon Louis XV with its four corner marble fireplaces and chinas,a library with ducal memorabilia then a depressing large diningroom with dozens of hunting trophies and Aubusson, Savonnerie tapestries.

The ambience there was very dreary like the 15th century chapel fortunately covered with a...Burgundian style roof!

We accessed the garden and the 11th century Belmonde tower without the guide and I climbed up the very narrow 135 step staircase and enjoyed a panoramic view of the city.

Though NO PICS WERE ALLOWED,I took a shot of the 12th duchess,Anne de Rochechouart de Mortemart,a sculptor and early feminist who was the FIRST WOMAN IN FRANCE TO GET HER DRIVERS'S LICENSE in 1898 AND THE FIRST TO GET A SPEEDING FINE for driving more than nine miles per hour in the Bois de Boulogne!

Every year the duché hosts many events held in the courtyard and ground rooms in particular the famous Musical Nights.

One of the most expensive and least value sights I have visited!
I wasted 17 euro:the ghost was awa…
commoners stay away!
Le duché
the lovely Renaissance facade
bernard69 says:
@Chokk:this story is dedicated to u Christian,try to break her record,take your time in the Bois de Boulogne:)
Chokk says:
You always dig up the great stories Bernard - 9 mph - is awesome!
Sweetski says:
Always a pity when they don't allow photography inside. I bet they just want to make you curious in the hope you'll cough up the 17 euro.

And 9 miles p/h through Bois de Boulogne? Now there's a record! :D