Dublin Castle

Dublin, Ireland

Dublin Castle Reviews

Liselore_Verschuren Liselore…
Not much to look at on the outside, great tour through the State Apartments Jun 11, 2011
It took us quite a bit of time to actually find Dublin Castle (I only use Lonely Planet guides and that doesn’t have a lot of pictures). The reason for this is that we expected to naturally walk into a large medieval structure, but there is nothing of the sort in the area. Later it turned out we had passed it a couple of times without realizing it.

Dublin Castle may have been the fortified seat of British rule in Ireland for over 700 years, the current complex is a collection of unattractive buildings from several different centuries, mostly the 18th.

The Treasury Building, which was built in 1714, may be the oldest office block in Dublin, it is not much of a looker. The Record Tower is more of an eye catcher, it dates from 1226 and is a remainder of the old Norman castle. Attached to the Record Tower is the Chapel Royal, which is nice, but nothing special.

The Great Courtyard is the centre of Dublin Castle, it is surrounded by the State Apartments, West Range Suite, the International Conference Centre, and the Bedford Tower. Most of these buildings can be rented for conferences, receptions and dinners, except for the State Apartments, which are still in use for important state functions. We decided to take a tour through these Apartments, but since they start at set times, we killed some time by walking to the Dubhlinn Gardens and Coach House, which were also nothing special.

The tour soon turned out to be the highlight of Dublin Castle, a nice tour guide told all sorts of fun stuff to know and lead us through beautifully decorated rooms such as the Throne Room, the State Corridor and St. Patrick’s Hall. The tour ended at the Undercroft, the old Viking defense bank.
bmwguy81 bmwguy81
Dublin Castle Mar 29, 2011
I really enjoyed the tour, but I wish more of the castle was open to the public , especially the oldest tower. The tour guide was excellent. Castle is a main stop on the maps.
Vipin Vipin
Smart place! Sep 30, 2010
Dublin Castle is well worth it for the tour alone. Sometimes with these places, it can become a bit of a chore to read the information constantly or listen to your audio guide after pressing ten buttons. Here, the guides are very charming, keep the information comprehensive but engaging and lead you through the main parts at a decent pace.

The entrance price is 5-10 Euros and you can visit only through guided tours, which start during various times of the day.

During the tour, you get to see the main stately rooms and the guide helpfully goes through the key information at each stage. I really thought that the rooms looked stunning, even the door handles and wall paper! The whole tour lasts around an hour and there is an opportunity to ask questions at the end.

I really enjoyed this visiting this place and recommend it highly, even if you’re not a fan of such places usually.
fransglobal says:
I love the deep pile carpets!
Posted on: Jan 02, 2011
alison_wndrlnd alison_w…
Mar 02, 2007
The Dublin Castle tour was definitely better than I expected it to be. I mean, tours of 'State Apartments' all start to look similar to me after a while, but this one still pretty good. The guides do an excellent job of taking you through Irish history and the different uses of Dublin Castle. Pictures are allowed too, which is unusual for these types of sites.

Related Travel Blogs About Dublin Castle

A shitload of Vikings and a TB meet-up!
Unlike most other European countries, the Romans have never set foot in Ireland, which gives this country a completely different history. It were the Vikings that ‘discovered’ Ireland in …Dublin Castle. On our way we come across a nice little market at Cow’s Lane, the stalls…
Dublin (Dublin Castle, Chester Beatty Library, Literary Pub Crawl and more Guinness)
We hadn't booked rooms with breakfast at the hotel, but we'd spotted a nice place just around the corner yesterday, so we decided to start the day at this place. ‘Munchies’ had a great choice of …Dublin Castle , but since we had to wait for the next guided tour we first had a cup of coffee…
Dublin
In the lead up to my birthday I had decided to take my birthday off to save me sitting at work, so I made a plan to meet Cam for lunch that day and he would finish early and we could go for a meal. C…Dublin Castle, which is tucked away in what seems like an industrial area it is a well fortified series…

Check Dublin Hotel Deals