Driving through Tirol and the Dolomites

Innsbruck, Austria
Driving through Tirol and the Dolomites - in south tirol, approaching the italian border
Driving through Tirol and the Dolomites - If you can identy this town, please let me know!

Driving through Tirol and the Dolomites Innsbruck Reviews

hannajax hannajax
Jun 21, 2006
for those of you that enjoy road trips, i will have to say that my favorite, thus far, has been the drive from frankfurt, germany, south to italy.

we drove through wuerzburg, ingolstadt, and munich. in the munich area, once you get close to austria, the scenery really begins to change. rolling green hills, quaint alpine villages, farmland, dairy cows, and more gorgeous scenery. once in austria, passing innsbruck, the austrian alps start to appear, and soon one is in northeastern italy, in the dolomites. our total trip driving time was about 8 hours, as this is when we were headed to our castle in cison di valmarino, the veneto area of italy.

an hour before arriving at our final destination, we were driving through curving mountain passes, surrounded by vast and raging snow-capped mountains. more to see than the eye could take in, we passed at least a dozen castles. up in hills, some right next to the highway, others set in the center of town. outdoor enthusiasts flock to the dolomites, for incredible hiking and skiing. in retrospect, i wished we had lingered there. every 10 minutes was another town, with comfortable looking inns lining the single streets that snaked through them. wished i had done a lot of things, like take more photographs...but the visions are still brandished brightly in my mind, i can still smell the fresh air.
in south tirol, approaching the it…
Grpablo says:
Yes it's true: it's really beautiful to drive for that places; the Alps are wonderful! Did you see my "Roadtrip in Europe" blog? I took some pictures from Tirol to Munich :)
Ciao
Posted on: Jun 22, 2006
X_Drive X_Drive
Best scenery in the world May 21, 2005
Our drive began in Garmisch-Partenkirchen and took us first to Innsbruck, Austria, then Brunicio, Italy and finally to Venice, but I have to say that from the time we boarded the bus that day until we were down and headed into Venice that the drive had to be one of the most wonderful scenic drives ever.

If you like to see green hills and majestic towering mountains this has got to be the best in the world. The quaint villages, old world pride of architecture and murals on the homes and lodges, and amazing views from some parts of the highway that seem to hang high above the valleys makes this a trip to remember.

And don’t forget to load your camera with extra memory and fresh batteries because you will surely need them on this ride. And try not to be the driver; it would be a shame to have to watch the road and not to be able to look at everything.

Check Innsbruck Hotel Deals