Driving in Costa Rica

San Jose, Costa Rica

Driving in Costa Rica San Jose Reviews

sriman14 sriman14
Do not drive in San Jose Oct 07, 2011
I recently received two $600 speeding tickets in San Jose. That adds up to more than the cost of the house I rented for a month! So, here's the deal, they've got cameras on some of the main roads in San Jose that take a picture of your car and have a date/time stamp as well as your speed and they send it to you with your bill. In my case they sent it to the rental company. Came out to $600 each, which is insanely high for a million reasons I won't get into. Anyway, on top of the ridiculous ticket price, the tickets are bogus! The have me going 92 km on a "highway" at 747am, which is impossible because I left the hotel we were at at 745am and it took us over 20 minutes to get to that highway b/c we were lost downtown trying to find it! So, it's a hassle having to appeal it. You have to go to the DMV and stand in different lines, etc, etc....basically the last thing you want to be doing on vacation. Plus if the car is a rental they say only the rental car company can appeal which they won't. Why would they when it's so much easier to just charge your credit card $1,200!? I'm trying to appeal anyway...we'll see what happens. Just don't do it. Take a bus/taxi to another town and rent a car there. Whatever you do, do NOT drive in San Jose!

Related Travel Blogs About Driving in Costa Rica

whitewater rafting
just, wow drive up into the mountains, hike and then white-water raft class 3-4 rapids for hours in a lush rainforest nature preserve= lifechanging epxeriance there are 0 signs of humanit… just, wow drive up into the mountains, hike and then white-water raft class 3-4 rapids for hours…
Pacuare White Water Rafting
We arrived to San Jose in the early afternoon and rushed to get on the road. I prefer not to drive in Costa Rica after dark especially since we didn't really know where we were going. Our strategy wa…San Jose in the early afternoon and rushed to get on the road. I prefer not to drive in Costa Rica
Travel to Costa Rica
                Today is the big day, not only travel to Costa Rica, but also the first time since our marriage that I have …San Jose.   We will learn in the next two weeks that driving in Costa Rica is insane and it is much…

Check San Jose Hotel Deals