Driving Motorcycles in Bali

Bali, Indonesia

Driving Motorcycles in Bali Reviews

ibanezguitars ibanezgu…
Be careful when riding motorcycles in Bali Oct 07, 2012
One thing I have learned about Bali is when you're riding a motorcycle you have to exercise extreme caution at all times. There are a number of different reasons for this. First of all there are very limited road rules and regulations unlike those in western countries. There has been many times I have had near misses at intersections, hidden side streets or even motorcyles riding into oncoming traffic!

Another thing that I experienced is sometimes there are road workers who work right on the side of the road with no protective fencing around them and very few witches hats. There was a time I was riding on a motorcycle in flowing traffic and the cars and bikes were riding literally inches away from where the road workers were standing. Very dangerous! The quality of the roads is relatively poor too. It's good they are fixing them up slowly but even still you have to be careful on some of the rough roads.

Another thing to note is the lack of traffic lights coupled with the hectic traffic conditions. During the day the traffic is chaotic at best in busy areas of Bali. The intersections can be quite random given that there are very few traffic lights. Everyone pretty much just rides through them slowly hoping to dodge everyone else. When there are lots of bikes at each point of an intersection all wanting to cross, this can be hectic and dangerous.

Keeping these things in mind will hopefully reduce the chances of having an accident.

Check out the link for more details on the rides, motorcyles, transport and more useful info about Bali.

Road workers in Bali on the side o…
The chaotic traffic conditions in …
latelunch latelunch
Jul 07, 2007
In my opinion, the best way to experience Bali is by motorbike. But unlike other parts of Asia where laws are non-existent, you are required to either have an international drivers license or an Indonesian license. Since I had neither, I went to the police station in Denpasar, paid $25, and got the coolest souvenir of my trip! I use it now to get into bars in LA. It's completely in Indonesian, and confuses the hell out of bartenders and bouncers. So fun!

Also a helmet is required at all times. Cops are waiting to pull over any westerner they see, since most are without licenses. If you're caught without one, you can always bribe with a few bucks, but it's so much cooler to have an official license!

Be weary of roads. Potholes, cows, monkeys, and irrational drivers are everywhere. Once you've handled Indonesian roads, you're ready for anything!
freadwalker says:
I would like rent Harley bike to for my trip.
harley davidson motorcycles for sale
Posted on: Aug 20, 2012
bandar122 says:
Thanx good idea I'll remember u on the roads ;)
Posted on: Aug 23, 2011
jack_nel says:
On my way to Bali, I think your souvenir idea is awesome! Thank man.
Posted on: Jun 05, 2010