Dragon Hostel & Kowloon New Hostel

Argyle Street

Dragon Hostel & Kowloon New Hostel Reviews

chris-in-sf chris-in…
Aug 22, 2007
I stayed at Kowloon New Hostel for several nights. The same office runs at least 4 hostels in the building, including USA Hostel. The furnishings are nice, have been remodeled, and is clean.

I didn't have any problems with the staff, but I witnessed several others having problems, and I think since it was Christmas and busy, tempers were high. It was also a bit noisy at times, but unfortunately my room was right outside the office, so I heard a lot of the noise. The Mirador Mansions are a pretty sketchy building. I never worried for my safety really, but I'm a 5'10" white guy who knows how to not look intimitated. The touts around the building and that block in general are very annoying.

I wasn't really enjoying my stay there all that much, other than the fact it was clean and near the subway.

Tonight I'm staying at (and recommend) Dragon Hostel, based on the other recommendations here. It has many positives and one negative over Mirador hostels. I like this Mong Kok area of town a LOT better. Lots to see but less touristy than down the street. The vibe of Dragon is a lot more friendly and laid back. I haven't even slept yet, but I can tell it's going to be a LOT quieter for a good night's sleep. Family run and not business-like as the ones at Mirador. There's even a couple of common rooms with couches and TV which was welcome to have a place to sit down.

The only downside here is the rooms are in need of remodeling. Flourescent lights, ancient wallpaper starting to peel, old furnishings. It's ok but could use some updates for sure.

I don't know if these are necessarily good for families, but this place was family run and they were very nice. It is good for backpackers and couples looking for quality on a budget.
Dragon Hostel & Kowloon New Hostel Map