Dr Pepper Museum

300 South 5th Street, Waco, TX, USA

Dr Pepper Museum Waco Reviews

vances vances
May 26, 2007
No web site could claim to be “travel oriented” without a review of the renowned Dr. Pepper Museum, so I took it upon myself to ensure TravBuddy wasn’t lacking and visited this landmark today.

Located downtown in Waco, TX beside a Dr. Pepper bottling plant, the museum is actually a non-profit entity, independent of the company whose name it bears. That distinction becomes readily apparent as there is a lot of displays and information on sodas other than Dr. Pepper. Of course Dr. Pepper gets the most attention and I learned several interesting tidbits, including:

- the soda was originally known by its birthplace, and was ordered by saying “I’ll have a Waco”

- concocted from 23 different fruit juices, the inventor was trying to create something that tasted “like a soda fountain smells” (hmmm, that doesn’t strike me as terribly appealing)

Waco was a good choice for a soda manufacturing facility due to its artesian wells, and there is one right in the museum that you can peer down. The museum is on three floors – of which number three was closed for renovation, so I can’t tell you anything about what might be up there. The second floor is actually wavy…constructed that way so they could hose away the syrup each day (the museum is the original Dr. Pepper plant!).

While I enjoyed my tour, it is pretty much a bunch of displays with note cards, so I was glad I didn’t drag my daughter along as I don’t see this exciting the youngsters. Admission was $6 which seemed a bit steep since I was in-and-out in around 45 minutes. Regardless, it makes for a nice diversion and there is an old fashioned soda fountain inside that would make for a nice conclusion to your visit.
Some of the displays - there was a…
Aditu says:
LOL, I just get back from vacation and log onto Travbuddy and lo and behold who's here with something to put a smile on my vacation withdrawl face!!! Love this.
frankcanfly says:
LOVE those off the beaten path destinations!! I'll get there someday my friend.....
portia says:
no big equipment from the days when it was making the soda? that would be neat.

Check Waco Hotel Deals