Downtown Newport

Thames street, Newport, RI, USA

Downtown Newport Reviews

magnusalliance magnusal…
Newport RI - In the Summer Jun 28, 2011
I spent two week in mid-May in Newport, RI. The only time to visit is the Summertime. Spend your time down around the Wharf and Thames Street. Tons of restaurants and bars/pubs. My favoite was 33 degrees North. It has a bit of "South Beach" type of scene. The town is bicycle friendly and that is one of the best ways to get around because parking can be difficult. There are some hills, so you must be in shape to get around to see the sites.
LisaLeni LisaLeni
Sweetness !! Apr 21, 2011
I spent my last summer in Jamestown - a really small but precious little town next to Newport. But since there was nothing going on but tanning back in Jamestown I spent most of my free time in Newport. It was worth paying the toll everytime I crossed the Newport Bridge. It is full of precious little vintage stores and little park everywhere. Plus there is this beautiful harbor right next to the maine shopping street... It's hard to find a parking space but it's worth the seek :-) If you're ever around Rhode Island u might wanna plan a day in Newport .. I miss it a lot and I'm so excited to get back for a week or two back in July :-)

harbors and precious little vintage stores

Lisa Leni :-)
HuBison HuBison
Hanging out on Thames Street in downtown Newport Nov 20, 2010
Hanging out in downtown Newport can be a very pretty exursion. I went in November and so parking was ample, but if you go in the summer, you may have a significant problem finding parking.

Walking up and down Thames street offers a variety of shops, restuarants, and ice cream stores. Be sure to check out "the sounvenir shop"; in the midst of some trendy and expensive looking shops, this place has super affordable souvenirs. They even have magnets and keychains from the other 49 states (in case you forgot to get a souvenir while you were there).

There is small park to sit on and people watch and well as the water front. This places has lots of things to explore. East of Thames street (away from the water), there are antiques and nifty stores tucked away in the back...however, walk, don't drive. The streets in the back are narrow and offer very little parking for those who aren't residents.

Do a little research before you go and make a list of places you want to visit before you get there. Pick your restaurants appropriately and be sure to enjoy Newport as you wander around.

TIP: Don't try to walk from downtown Newport to the Breakers or the Cliffwalk, but riding a bike would be a nice idea. You can drive, but I think tourist parking is at a premium. The only problem with driving is that you don't get to see the beautiful mansions on Bellevue, you'll just whiz by them in a blur.

Related Travel Blogs About Downtown Newport

Breakers, Elms, Chateau Sur Mer
Today we visited the premiere property here in Newport:  The Breakers.  It was built by the Vanderbilts as display of success and power in the late 19th century  The insides of the man…Newport.  It was built in the 1850s by a trade tycoon that made money importing goods from China.  Unlike most of the houses we toured this…
Marble House & Belcourt Castle
Our preparation of getting up early a few days before our trip worked well.  We were up and ready to tour Marble House just as it opened at 10am.  This time of year there were no crowds, s…downtown Newport and walked around the wharfs.  We ate at the central wharf and then made our way back…

Check Newport Hotel Deals