Downtown Hostel

Downtown Hostel Yerevan Reviews

HORSCHECK HORSCHECK
Downtown Hostel May 28, 2014
*** Unfortunately this hostel has closed down some time in 2015. ***

At the beginning of June 2014 I stayed 7 nights in a single room of Yerevan's Downtown Hostel. I had booked my room a couple of days in advance by e-mail from Tbilisi. Communication was easy and smooth.

As the hostel actually doesn't have any single rooms, it rents out other rooms as single rooms if required. So my single room had three beds and a small wash hand basin.

The hostel has shared facilities on two floors. On the ground floor is a toilet with a wash basin and one bathroom with a shower. On the lower floor is another bathroom with toilet, shower and wash basin. I never had to wait for either toilet or the shower, although I must admit that the hostel was not fully booked during my stay.

In theory up to 45 travellers can stay in the Downtown Hostel. A washing machine is available for guests as well and I even once used it.

My single room cost 12.500 AMD. The price included a basic breakfast, which was every day something different. Tea and Coffee are free during the whole day from the fully equipped kitchen.

Free WiFi is provided throughout the whole hostel and worked perfectly during my stay. People could also sometimes use the computer at receiption if necessary. All ladies from receiption were really helpful, spoke good English and had excellent recommendations. I saw a cleaning woman every day cleaning the common rooms and bathrooms.

In front of the hostel entrance are some wooden benches and tables so that in the evening one can sit outside and enjoy the company of other guests. That way I got in contact with travellers from Singapore, America, Iran, Macedonia, Poland, England, Australia, the Netherlands and Germany.

Downtown Hostel offers several tours around Armenia, which seem to be arranged through the sister Hostel Penthouse Hostel. Together with two travellers from Singapore I booked a "Southern Tour" for 15.000 AMD each. Us three had our private driver who only spoke Russian but knew exactly where to drive us. The tour started at 09:00 h in the morning and ended approx. 13 hours later. It included the following places: Khor Virap, Noravank, Jermuk, Tatev, Sisian and some minor stops. It was an excellent value for money and a good way to see some of Armenia's off the beaten path places, which are hard to get to by public transport.

I really enjoyed my time in Yerevan's Downtown Hostel and can higly recommend the place.
Downtown Hostel
Downtown Hostel: My bedroom
Downtown Hostel: Shared toielt
Downtown Hostel: Wall art
german_eagle says:
Excellent review, Holger, very detailed and helpful. Very sad to hear this hostel closed for good in 2015.
loripori says:
Informative review Holger.
DAO says:
Why go good places close and bad ones last forever?

Check Yerevan Hotel Deals