Downtown Braga

Braga, Portugal

Downtown Braga Reviews

Jaina_me Jaina_me
Jul 14, 2007
Portugal is a very picturesque country. Braga is no exception. If you decide to go downtown you can find beautiful and ancient buildings worth seeing, especially during sunset:)

“A Brasileira” is an old Portuguese cafe and it also exists in Lisbon. The Lisbon one is famous for the bronze statue of our great poet Fernando Pessoa, where he used to hang with his fellow poets. Nevertheless, you’ll find more tourists than autochthones there. That’s why Braga’s Brasileira has a special feeling. You’ll see nothing but a friendly (well not always:) blend between old people, that stop by since they were children, and the city’s trendy youth. The decoration is also really characteristic with wooden booths and mirrored walls. Sounds weird but it’s actually a very pleasant place to enjoy an after lunch “cimbalino” (delicious espresso coffee) or an afternoon “mazagra” (cool coffee drink with lemon slices).

Just around the corner (Rua de São Marcos) you can eat yummy “Bolinhos de Bacalhau” (a traditional Portuguese fried roll with codfish and smashed potatoes) at “A Favorita”. Portuguese people are crazy about codfish and I believe that no one can cook it as well as we do! Living proof is that nowhere else in the world you’ll find people eating as much as we do, sounds pretty logical:) Correct me if I’m wrong:)

Our “Sé” (Old Cathedral) can be found in the most traditional neighbourhood. Small narrow streets decorated with colourful flower vases, hanging from each balcony. Just by talking to people you’ll feel a different vibe. Life goes on peacefully and everybody knows next door neighbour.

Braga’s oldest pub, “Deslize”, stands timidly in front of the cathedral, and you must ring the doorbell to get in… Some of our finest and most expensive restaurants like “De Bouro” are just around the corner, in front of 70 year old Dona Constância’s outdoor fire grill. Enough of Braga for one day:)
me, myself and a green door:)
rotorhead85 says:
I've only been to Lagos during the off-season one December. Loved it! I hope to see more of the country sometime... very interesting, dynamic history. I also want to try some of that real Port wine!
Posted on: Aug 20, 2007
jenn79 says:
Can't wait to visit! Hope we can hang out!!
Posted on: Jul 20, 2007