Douglaston Bay

New York, New York

Douglaston Bay New York Reviews

lparisya lparisya
Douglaston Manor- Walk Along One of the Most Scenic Routes in New York Oct 15, 2008
Most people come the the Big Apple, but rarely venture out of Manhattan, but the "real" New York City is technically composed of the five boroughs: Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx, Manhattan and Staten Island. So, to get a full Big Apple experience, I suggest you branch out.

Douglaston Manor is a well-hidden gem, so much so that most native New Yorkers have no idea where it is. It's about a twenty-five minute drive from Manhattan and about a thirty minute train ride from Penn Station. I moved to Douglaston Manor when I was six-years-old and have been commuting to New York City everyday with the exception of one or two years. I remember weekend bike rides by the Bay and sitting down and having picnic lunches in the park that overlooked the water. It is beautiful all year round, and it is a pleasant place, where people greet you as they pass along. There are many different species of birds and tress, and people spend a lot of time on their gardens and have exotic plants and more traditional rose gardens. If you like boating, there is a ramp in the park, where you can enter the water. Also, in terms of scenery, one can see Bayside from Douglaston, the Whitestone Bridge, which looks breathtaking at night when the lights are lit, and you can even see a hazy Manhattan in the distance.

I think my little watering-hole from the concrete jungle that is New York City helped me retain my sanity. Manhattan is probably one of the most unique places on Earth, but the constant stress and on-the-go mentality become exhausting. So, if you're a tourist in the Big Apple and you're stressed and tired and need a little mini-break, I suggest you rent a bicycle or walk on your two feet and experience a suburban neighborhood.

For photographers:

Douglaston Manor is a historical neighborhood and has many old mansions and properties that make amazing photographs. There is one house in particular that I love to photograph, which is a Victorian Colonial, and has a widow's perch and overlooks the water, whose banks have imported wild bamboo swaying in the wind.

For fitness minded-individual and bicyclists:

Douglaston Manor is a scenic route, where bicyclists and power walkers can be challenged because of the many up and down roller coaster like hills. Although it can be windy on the street facing the water, if you bundle up, it can be a pleasant walk in late fall and winter. I will never forget some of the winter walks I took. It had snowed and had been very cold (below the freezing point) and the bay and rocks had frozen making the water look like the crater-eaten surface of the Moon. I wish I had my camera around to snap a photograph, but nonetheless, I will never forget that unique and eerie feel of the bay.

For families and children, singles and couples:

Douglaston Manor is ideal for all of these groups. The newly renovated park has great a great jungle gym, sandbox, basketball court, football/soccer field, baseball diamond, swings and a ramp for boats, where children accompanied by their parents like to collect shells and pebbles.

If you are single, you can enjoy the park and read a book, sketch or even set up a easel in the park. People are very friendly and you will have the opportunity to chat with locals. If you need a relaxing walk to help you think and meditate, Douglaston Bay is ideal for this purpose. Depending on the weather, and the silence characteristic of the neighborhood, and wonderful array of birds like bluejays and cardinals, you will have your own little mecca for contemplation.

If you are a couple, Douglaston Bay is a relaxing retreat from the city. Bring a picnic basket and some wine, and a picnic blanket and sit on the grass on the waterfront and have a deep conversation, etc. It will really enhance a romantic mood, and inspire conversation.

So... Natives and tourists alike I recommend you explore what else New York City has to offer besides Manhattan, which so many people in the world dream about exploring.
A picture of the end of Douglaston…
monoli says:
going to NY soon, not sure if I'll find a time for Douglaston- Bay but you made me ever so curious :)
Great writing style as well!
Posted on: Dec 04, 2010
BortnikY says:
I live in NYC and this was pretty dang new to me.
Posted on: Sep 28, 2009