Dougies Backpackers Resort

Check Port Douglas Hotel Deals

Dougies Backpackers Resort Port Douglas Reviews

lauramaria6 lauramar…
Best backpackers in Australia? Mar 16, 2011
Dougies was my first stop in Australia after arriving in Cairns from New Zealand. It was recommended to me by two backpackers I met in NZ who had actually spent some time working at the hostel and I can't thank them enough for their advice! Before I arrived I emailed the hostel and they emailed me back with loads of useful info about the area and excursions they could arrange. They do a free bus to and from Cairns on certain days too so it's a good idea to tie your trip in with this. The hostel itself is in the gorgeous small town of Port Douglas, a pretty upmarket place by the beach in far north queensland. It's about a 15 minute walk from the main strip with its supermarkets, pubs, restaurants, bars and shops and about a 10 minute walk from the gorgeous four mile beach. The hostel itself is a one-storey unimposing and characteristic building with rooms and a campsite. It's pretty basic but really clean. Hot showers. There's a large communal room with a kitchen and a swimming pool. The grounds are pretty lush so you wake up to the sounds of birds - feels like you're in the rainforest! The hostel had a bit of a hippie vibe to it and everyone was really friendly. I came at the start of the rainy season (November) so it was prety quiet, but other people told me that at peak season which ended just a few weeks before they had lots of different parties at the hostel. But I wouldn't describe it as one of those tacky 'party' hostels at all. There were people staying in the campsite who had been there for months, plus travellers spending just a few days there. The staff were really helpful and can book trips to places like the Daintree rainforest, which I highly recommend you do with an overnight stay so you can do a guided night walk of the forest. I stayed in a four-bed dorm room for about $26 a night and it was pretty comfy. Breakfast with the Birds down the road was cool, as was the local weekend market. You can hire bikes from the hostel and cycle. One of the first things I saw when I arrived was a huge spider in its web that it had spun between some trees near the toilets and shower block. But it didn't move from its web the entire 5 days I was there so don't be too alarmed if you spot him! One girl did step on a snake walking back to her tent one night though so make sure you have a torch. One of the guys at the hostel had travelled round most of Australia and said this was the best hostel he had found. A few months on and with some travel experience of Australia under my belt,I think he was right.
Campsite