Doubletree Metropolitan Hotel

Doubletree Metropolitan Hotel Rates and Deals

Doubletree Metropolitan Hotel New York Reviews

rebelfactory rebelfac…
Great Location, Affordable, Great Service! Jul 14, 2011
The Doubletree is part of the Hilton chain, and thus offers standard amenities that can be found/compared to a four-star Hilton Hotel.

The price is pretty good, I believe I got a room via the Hilton site directly (good/needed if you want to HHonor points), around $130 for a night in early 2010.

Upon arrival you can quickly check-in, and I must point out, I arrived in the city at around 7AM off a red-eye from LAX, check-in is not officially until 3PM yet I was given a wonderful room at around 7AM after asking them if there was anything they could possibly do (By the way, this works at most hilton and hyatt hotels if you ask, and can be quite helpful).

Room – Large comfortable bed, I believe I actually had two queen beds instead of one King, which was fine by me (allowed me to spend a good 15 minutes deciding which bed I wanted upon entering the room).

Amenities in Room: Standards like phone and alarm, then a big flat LCD TV (plenty of channels, and even the harder to find stuff like Bloomberg TV), an iPod speaker system, mini-fridge (one with pressure sensors), safe, big closet, comfy bathrobes.

Bathroom - Again really standard four star Hilton style, i.e. big, plenty of lamps and mirrors, nice tub/shower, and all the other goodies like plenty of towels, toilet that flushes, and a nice sink.

Overall – Awesome room. Great staff. Bar is pretty good too, decent prices for being a Hotel bar, open until I believe around 10 (i.e. perfect for the afternoon drink, or to start off as a meeting place when meetings others in the city, but not the place you want to go drinking at night, unless you want to call it a night really early, or do something other than drink.)

Location? Really good, there is a subway at the end of the block, two or three blocks from the good nightlife streets (by this I mean the streets with plenty of bars, not clubs). I believe free cookies in the morning? And of course the Wall Street Journal, NY Times, and USA Today.

P.S. In NYC it is worth it to find a four-star, i.e. pretty much all the good chain hotels. The three stars are not comparable to three stars in a lot of other cities IMO, and are usually JUST as expensive as a four-star, yet are usually a lot smaller and come with a lot more headache. I would even say this to those that usually prefer the smaller establishments (hey its New York City, throw those rules out).
whizz0 whizz0
Great location, nice rooms! Jun 06, 2011
Stayed for two nights in June, they upgraded me upon check in and because there was a short walk they gave me a complimentary drink. Also they gave me a tin of their famous cookies, amazingggg.

Great location, from the hotel I walked everywhere with the exception of the south side. 10-15 min walk to central park (amazing place) and 15-20 min walk to times square. Walked to Penn station on my final morning and took 45 mins while towing a suitcase.

Bar is good, very friendly staff everywhere.

Got food delivered to the hotel one night as menu is kinda steep but I'm sure it's no more expensive than similar hotels.

Clean large room however bathroom was very small (but fine)
mfmcp1982 mfmcp1982
Great value, excellent location and a SUPERB concierge Feb 15, 2007
The concierge and comfy beds are this hotel's best features. Running a close joint second is it's location, power showers and warm chocolate cookies on arrival are some of the biggest selling points for this midtown Manhattan hotel.

The hotel, which became a Doubletree in February 2005, having previously been the Cross Keys Metropolitan, is located at 569 Lexington Avenue, right on the corner of E51st. It's right beside a green line subway station (4, 5, 6 trains) on the corner right outside the hotel, which means you could go all the way up to The Bronx or right down to Battery Park in one go. It's only three blocks up to Fifth Avenue - when you head up towards 5th on E51st you come out at SAKS Avenue beside St Patrick's Cathedral. It's easy to walk to the Empire State Building, Rockefeller Centre, Bloomingdale's (only 8 blocks along Lexington) and Broadway.

The hotel itself is quite impressive. The recent overhaul when it became a Doubletree means it's very modern, the lobby is clean and contemporary and you can check in at automated kiosks when reception is busy. Mark and I got checked in without any problem at the computers, but it wouldn't issue keys for my parents, but a gallant doorman helped out and gave us our chocolate chip cookies, which were warm and freshly made - everyone gets one on arrival, but we somehow managed to get eight, so we had one when we got upstairs, and the other later that night!

The difference between the reception area and the rooms is quite marked. The rooms are comfortable and absolutely adequate for a city centre New York hotel, but the bathrooms were the biggest disappointment. They were tiny! If you were using the toilet your knees were pretty much touching the door. If Mark was shaving at the sink he had to move right into the bathroom so I could squeeze past to switch the shower on! Although the shower was extremely powerful (which I like) and everything was clean, just a bit dated. The Neutrogena toiletries were appreciated - especially as I'd forgotten shower gel!

The beds were SUPREMELY comfortable. The feather toppers were cloud-like and the duvet and pillows contributed to the sleeping in a Marshmallow experience! In saying that, the bed was firm enough, which was the main thing.

The room had the bed, a desk, a bedside table by the window, a sprung arm chair, a chest of drawers with the TV and a built in wardrobe which was the tattiest part of the room. The doors were pull apart and jammed on the carpet, and the paint was quite chipped in our room, but they held the clothes, and the safe worked so it was perfectly useable. The other small problem was that there was quite a large gap under our door, and for some reason a bunch of kids were rampaging up and down the corridor one night and they were very noisy - we ended up having to phone reception and plug the gap with a towel to keep the bright corridor light out when we were trying to sleep. I think each floor of the hotel was being gradually upgraded - maybe they just hadn't got to our floor yet? The views were nothing special either - another roof top. Some rooms face onto Lexington and have views towards the ESB but not ours. That didn't bother us though.

We didn't eat in the hotel at any point, but I hear room service is good. The gift shop/ newsagent in the lobby was great because we could pick up bottles of water or a chocolate bar or two in the mornings to stick in our back packs and keep us going. We ended up buying a few touristy mugs there so we didn't have to trail them around the city from anywhere else.

The concierge was EXCELLENT. I don't remember his name, but he recommended Mr K's across the street as well as Shula's at the Westin Times Square, both of which were fabulous restaurants. We also went to the Revolving Restaurant at the Marriott at Times Square which was good but confusing. You have to queue for an elevator up and some people seem to get priority! The guy also booked us our airport transfer and asked how we were every day, which was a nice touch - he always checked if we'd enjoyed our meals after his recommendations too.

We checked out the hotel on, which I think is a pretty good site, although I always take really bad reviews with a pinch of salt, especially if they crop up amongst a string of good ones. Apparently there's been an issue with staff at rival hotels posting exceptionally negative reviews against their competition. But if the general consensus is good (or bad), or reviews continually refer to any good points or problems, you can pretty much take it as read that's what it'll be like

All in all, we were pleased with the Doubletree - absolutely adequate for Midtown Manhattan, and better the places like Thirty-Thirty by all accounts! And considering the amount you can spend to stay in some place (I'm particularly thinking the Waldorf=Astoria) the Doubltree is more than adequate. To me the beds at the Doubletree were more comfortable, the staff friendlier and there's no complimentary cookies at the Waldorf! Of course somewhere like the Waldorf is grander in fixtures, fittings and furniture, and there is a more sophisticated atmosphere, but for a family out to see New York and spend hardly any time in the room, it was fine.

We'd go back - sure the bathrooms are small and the wardrobes need done up, as do the cracks under the doors, but they're minor, especially the cosmetic things. We managed to seal our safe accidentally with our wallets, passports and flight tickets in it and the security officer was up within minutes to crack the code with an electrical gadget. He stayed while we set a new code and made sure it was working. We called for something at the Waldorf and didn't get it til the next day...

And I think that's the thing about hotels in NYC: many of them have small rooms, many of them have no view, but unless you plan to spend masses of time in your room (which in NYC it's unlikely you will, unless...) then somewhere like the Doubletree is absolutely fine.
The hotel lobby from the bar area
Hotel Lobby
Hotel Extorior - Lexington & E51st
Standard Doubletree room - very mu…
bernard69 says:
amazing review
Posted on: Sep 11, 2009
msanswine msanswine
Dec 01, 2007
Living a few blocks from it, I've walked past the Doubletree a thousand times but never stayed there. It converted to a Doubletree a few years ago and my overall experience is that the Doubletree hotels are pretty consistent. That said, NYC hotels are notorious for having fairly small rooms.

There always seems to be a lot of movement in front of the hotel so that's a good sign. As someone else mentioned, it's a good location. The entrance to the E, V, and 6 trains is right outside the hotel. You're also within walking distance of things like United Nations, Grand Central Terminal, Citicorp Building, Rockefeller Center, St. Patricks, Bloomingdales, Saks, and much more.
sk8wishart says:
Thanks so much for your input! I appreciate you taking the time.....
Posted on: Dec 01, 2007

• Exhibit Space
  • Salon
  • Fitness Facilities
  • Beauty Salon
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Shower