DoubleTree by Hilton Memphis Downtown

DoubleTree by Hilton Memphis Downtown Rates and Deals

DoubleTree by Hilton Memphis Downtown Reviews

wynterb wynterb
Good location, okay service Sep 28, 2011
Walking distance to Beale Street. The hotel is clean, decor is nice. There is a restaurant downstairs. My only complaint is the lack of staff. There was only one person working the desk, one vallet driver and no bellmen at check in and out.
ahtibat17 ahtibat17
Great downtown location Dec 06, 2009
We planned our road trip to Memphis to where we'd only be there overnight. We wanted a ecent hotel located downtown so we'd be within walking distance of almost everything we wanted to do. So, we stayed at the DoubleTree Downtown Memphis, located on Union Avenue, across the street from the AutoZone Ballpark and near Peabody Place.

We arrived much earlier than what the check-in time was (3 PM), but our room was ready, so we were able to check-in and begin our tour of Memphis. Upon arrival, we were given fresh baked chocolate chip cookies which were really good. (I didn't expect anything like that, but I'm not used to staying in hotels as nice as this).

We were assigned Room Number 1013, which I commented my dad would not stay in (for #13 -- he's very superstitious). But, it was a very nice room. The three of us all stayed in one to save money. There were two queen size beds, each practically overflowing with pillows. The beds were comfortable, allowing for a good night's sleep.

We ate breakfast in the restaurant adjacent to the hotel/the hotel's restaurant, TGIFriday's. They offered a breakfast buffet (as well as a menu) that was complete with made-to-order omelettes and waffles. The chef creating these was so incredibly nice, showing genuine Southern hospitality, and he made delicious omelettes and waffles.

The hotel had valet parking which we utilized. It was $20 for the 24-hour day. From the hotel's location, we were able to walk to Beale Street, and our chosen restaurants (the Litttle Tea Shop and Charlie Vergos' Rendezvous) as well as the Gibson Guitar Factory.

For our weeknight stay (Wednesday), the rate was $150, but split among three people, made it more affordable.
sylviandavid says:
thanks for this review... it sounds nice.. and having breakfast does cut the price by about $10 a person... Sylvia
Posted on: Dec 06, 2009
Amanda Amanda
Doubletree Hotel Memphis Downtown May 23, 2008
I have just returned from staying the week at the Doubletree Hotel Memphis Downtown. As seems so often to be the case when I review a hotel, I have mixed feelings on this place, so I'm going to break it up into categories -

People - This is where the hotel excelled. All of the employees at this hotel were so kind, sweet and cheerful; it was really impressed me. I have the very best things to say about them, and I think if you stay here, you will be equally delighted with the service you experience.

Decor - The hotel is nice looking, with an unusual decor downstairs (a large facade of the side of a building is built within the lobby.) The rooms are very large and bright, and had nice touches that made it clear you were in Memphis - historical posters of the city framed, unusual free standing lamps with dark red shades (somehow seemed very jazzy) and the huge desk in between the beds was extremely helpful to have.

Services - Free wi-fi throughout the hotel - yay! So many places try to charge you so much for internet connection. Newspaper under the door each morning and both the alarm clock and my requested wake-up calls were consistently reliable all week. Room service (provided by the TGI Friday's in the Lobby) came up hot and the food for room service I thought was a bit better than average. I was impressed when I ordered sweet tea with my meal and they cheerfully surprised me with a whole pitcher of tea in addition to the glass of tea, explaining happily that if I had been downstairs there would have been free refills. I thought that was above and beyond the call of duty.

Bathroom - HUGE. Biggest I've ever seen. A shower that reminded me of the type you'd have in a locker room, and on the other side of the room a full bathtub, also with shower. Impressive. Also, the sink is made up of a dark-wood table and shelves, and seemed more like "real furniture" than you often see. It seemed solid, classy and homey. The water power was weak, so the shower was light and you had to keep the toilet handle down for longer than usual to encourage the light flow of water to do it's job.

Maid Service/Cleanliness - this is where my disappointment lay. When I asked for new towels (by leaving the others on the floor as instructed) they took the old ones but brought no new ones. More serious to me was the fact that the bathtub was not cleaned well (or really at all) and had a very slow drain, and the result meant that if you turned on the water and stepped in, it was slippery from old soap and a bit dangerous, not to mention kind of icky. I ended up having to use the only washcloth in the room to scrub it out myself prior to showering, which just didn't seem like something I should have to do.

Also, one of the pillows was completely ripped open on the side, top to bottom. Seeing as how it was on the edge where the opening of the pillowcase was, there was no way to miss the stuffing pouring out - I left this on the bed each morning to see if they would fix it, but each evening it was still there.

Location - the good and bad aspect of this are mixed together. Close to the Mississippi River, Beale Street, and other downtown features, this also meant that there were an enormous amount of homeless people directly outside the door and as you tried to walk away from the hotel - and the fact that the Greyhound Bus Station is next door doesn't help. It was heart-wrenching. These men had newspaper around their bloody feet. I don't know what the answer is to that - I'm not trying to say we should have our eyes closed to the stark reality to this issue - but it's also just hard to look at so much when there is so little you can do to make a dent on their suffering. Also, with so many requests for money anytime you stepped out the door, combined with the fact that you have to cross over some more abandoned alleys/areas to get to where you are trying to go, as a single woman I didn't feel comfortable walking at night by myself, which left me kind of holed up in the hotel more than I otherwise would have.

Final note - Windows do not open. That's always something that means a great deal to me, even if it's only a partial opening or crack - ANYTHING to get some fresh air - but in this case, out of luck.
Inside the lobby, an unusual facad…
The room - overall it was well lit…
Another view of the room.
Seeing as how I'm basically a "goo…
sylviandavid says:
Thanks for this review... nice pictures... Sylvia
Posted on: Dec 06, 2009

DoubleTree by Hilton Memphis Downtown Overview

Right in the heart of the downtown district, the Doubletree Hotel Downtown Memphis is a good choice for business and leisure travelers alike. It is within easy walking distance of the Autozone Park, Music Hall of Fame, Orpheum Theater, FedEx Forum, and the amazingly popular and famous Beale Street. It is also less than a mile from the National Civil Rights Museum, and only seven miles to Graceland. The Doubletree Hotel Downtown Memphis is located at 185 Union Avenue and is 7.5 miles from the Memphis airport.

Each of the 280 rooms within the Doubletree Hotel Downtown Memphis is equipped with cable TV, high-speed Internet access, climate controls, in-room movies, personal safes, a mini-refrigerator, beverage station, hair dryer, and full-sized bathroom.

Guests of the Doubletree Hotel Downtown Memphis will enjoy the many fine facilities and services made available for them to enjoy, including the daily breakfast service, valet parking, swimming pool, modern fitness center, tour desk, golf course, concierge service, laundry and dry cleaning, restaurant, lounge with bar, business service center, meeting and banquet rooms, and 24-hour front desk service too.

DoubleTree by Hilton Memphis Downtown Amenities

• Ballroom
  • Audio/Visual Equipment
  • Exhibit Space
  • Fitness Facilities
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Shower