Double L Steakhouse

401 E. Center St, Visalia, CA, USA

Double L Steakhouse Visalia Reviews

X_Drive X_Drive
A good place to MISS! Jun 15, 2009
We were invited to a birthday dinner for a close friend and he enjoys a once a year dinner at the Double L Steakhouse. It is one of a very few restaurants in town where we have not eaten previously, due to reputation. And when I looked online for reviews I found that the bar gets five stars, but the restaurant itself is either loved or hated. The prices are extremely high for the relaxed and casual atmosphere and ambiance. Menu items run as high as $90 (twin lobster tails). Steaks and prime rib run in the $30 to $60 range. The host as it turned out, a middle-aged man, greeted us wearing faded jeans and an untucked casual shirt. I thought he was a maintenance person. At six p.m. the place was near empty. They did have a special early diners menu with smaller portions and more down to earth prices but our friends went with the large portions of prime rib and received a huge platter of 22oz. of meat and a large side of potato but no vegetable. Neither my steak nor their prime rib was free of gristle, which was quite prevalent actually. Service was mediocre from the young men who served. I will not return, even for a birthday dinner. Even my friend, who has gone there for several years was badly disappointed.
98STRider says:
When traveling I make it a habit to always count the cars in the parking lot. I'm rarely disappointed.
Posted on: Feb 11, 2010
marksreynolds says:
Sorry for the bad night out. People always ask why I like going to restaurants that are crowded or have a 1-1/2+ hour wait for a table. There's a reason these places are so busy! That's why I go to them!
Posted on: Oct 22, 2008
brownh27 says:
Poor you - hope it didn't spoil your friends brithday too much :(
Posted on: Nov 23, 2007
Hummingbird Hummingb…
Hear this LOUD and CLEAR! Oct 21, 2008
Sometimes my husband can be downright mean when he is reviewing a bad meal. And we usually see things slightly differently, but not in this case. Invited out to help a birthday dinner by a close friend who has been to this restaurant a few times before for special meals. This night was one of the worst experiences we have ever had at a restaurant. The host greeted us coming out of the bar, not from the desk, so we really didn’t think he worked there. He was slovenly and wearing an untucked shirt and jeans. He grabbed menus and led us into the nearly empty dining room. They had a special early bird menu that we checked and found our meals. Our friends went with the regular, very expensive 22 ounce prime ribs and large side of potato but no vegetable. It think theirs was $60 each while our 8 oz filets were $25. All of our meals were heavy with gristle. Our friends were as disappointed about the meal as we were. This is a never to return experience.
spocklogic says:
Sounds like the meal from HE Double L!
Posted on: Jun 16, 2011