Dos Moises

Copan, Honduras

Compare Copan Ruinas Hotel Rates (<1km away)

Dos Moises Copan Reviews

andrejav andrejav
Dos Moises Jan 02, 2012
Little, mostly agricultural town only 10 km from Guatemalan border is situated in the close proximity of the beautiful old Mayan city of Copan. Only a fraction of the Mayan city is excavated and presented to the public, while large areas mostly consisting necropolis and quarters of the lower class are still under ground. Mostly due to the beauty of palace complex, detailed and well preserved stele and grave that was excavated under one of the pyramids Copan Ruins are must go for anyone who wants to see an incredible example of the Mayan culture. Copan is kind of natural place to stop when you are going from Guatemala to Honduras or vice versa and break otherwise long trip to two smaller, more pleasurable ones.

Hotel/hostel Dos Moises is located two blocks from the center, and block from the market. Walking to the ruins is also easy task, and it takes 20-30 min of normal walk to get there.

First time I got to this hostel, I took room in dormitory which is located on the last floor and it cost me only 4$, but this time I was going with few of my friends and we took whole room and pay around 5$ per person. Room was ok, a bit small for three of us, but it was right next to the bathroom, kitchen and on the first floor, so we had minimum of hassle to be in this place. Hotel has 4 floors, and I don’t like their staircase because higher floors don’t have much room for tall guys… There was supposed to be hot water in the bathroom, but after not succeeding in getting any warmth from the faucet, I simply went for cold. Hot water system that they have is one of those that are attached on the shower head, and I have bad experience (got electrocuted twice…) with touching or trying to adjust those heaters. At the night metal doors of the hotel are locked, but there is security guy that sleeps close by and he opens the lock if you are leaving in the morning or if you get back late. Kitchen is good, open and available for use any time of the day. There is wireless internet in the hostel, but it is really slow. They also have one desktop computer available for people that don’t have their machines.

I do suggest going to the market and eating at those eateries that are incredibly cheap and have great fish and natural drinks. I also tried chicken and beef, but fish was the best choice. There is no much to do in the town aside of hanging out with other travelers in the bars, and you can go through all shops and interesting places in couple hours.

Across the Dos Moises hotel there is the restaurant and hostel place called Via Via, and that place has a bit better accommodation and much more character that Moises. Aside of movie nights, they also have good traveling and tourist agency (where you can find transportation to other places) and excellent food/drinks. I believe that they are slightly more expensive than Dos Moises, but maybe it will suit you better. Also there is backpackers hostel in the town, but I did not check that place.

Compare Copan Ruinas Hotel Rates (<1km away)

Copan Map