Tsukiji Fish Market, Tokyo, Japan
Dontaku - Dontaku Sushi Restaurant - outside
Dontaku - Dontaku Sushi Restaurant - Chun's chirashi-sushi
Dontaku - Dontaku Sushi Restaurant - my chirashi-sushi
Dontaku - Dontaku Sushi Restaurant - crowded alley in the inner market of Tsukiji FIsh Market
Dontaku - Dontaku Sushi Restaurant - one of the sushi chefs

Dontaku Tokyo Reviews

ellechic ellechic
Yummy chirashi-sushi in Tokyo's Tsukiji Fish Market! Oct 11, 2008
Dontaku is a small sushi restaurant located in the inner market area of Tsukiji Fish Market. Primarily serving chirashi-sushi, this small restaurant seats no more than 10 people.

Chirashi-sushi is a bowl of vinegared sushi rice covered with fish and other items. (see photo for example) My order consists of 3 different types of fish. A fellow TB member, Chun, ordered a chirashi-sushi with mostly tuna.

The fish was very fresh, soft and slightly sweet. The vinegared rice complemented the fish just right. And the presentation was just too lovely that I was hesitant to eat it.

They have a limited menu of 15 types of chirashi-sushi, while supplies last. Prices are affordable from 1000yen to 2500yen, and always depend on the type of fish in the dish. (Higher quality fish will always bring up the prices.)

Friendly staff and chef run this sushi bar. They speak little English, but are well-accustomed to tourists as it is in the tourist are aof Tsukiji Fish Market, and only a few doors down to the more well-known sushi bar, Sushi Dai, with a long line and waiting time of more than 90 minutes. (I decided not to wait and tried this little gem of a restaurant instead.)
Dontaku Sushi Restaurant - outside
Dontaku Sushi Restaurant - one of …
Dontaku Sushi Restaurant - my chir…
Dontaku Sushi Restaurant - Chun's …
Chattan says:
We stumbled upon Dontaku when, naturally, both Sushi Dai and Daiwa Sushi at Tsukiji Fish Market had long, long lines, even at 09.30 hrs.
I thought the chirashi sushi there was out of this world. While my son was initially disappointed there was no sushi served, I think we were all delighted when our beautiful bowls of rice topped with assorted sashimi arrived. They were all so photo-ready and too delicious.
The place is small, with counter seating for maybe 10 people. The service was friendly and charming. We had fun watching the three male chefs at work.
I would visit Dontaku again especially if I have a craving for chirashi sushi, which I always love.
Posted on: Aug 18, 2013