Don't pay for food you DIDN'T order!

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Don't pay for food you DIDN'T order! Rio de Janeiro Reviews

HuBison HuBison
Appetizers are NOT free Oct 17, 2010
Our first night in Rio and we picked a restuarant on Avenida Atlantico after looking at the extensive menu. We weren't dying for anything specific, but wanted to eat where we had a good view.

We sat down in the half empty restaurant ( we got there too early) and they immediately put a plate on the table. It had a variety of pickled items; I may have only tried one of two things and my friend tried a few things, but we were really picking at it cause pickled food is just not our thing. We ordered our food and drink and it was just OK. I can't even remember the name of the restaurant we were at.

We received our bill and noticed an extra charge. When we inquired about what it was, it was explained to us that the pickled dish is not like a basket of bread of bowl of chips (as is traditionally put a on table here in the US for free), but that it is a charged item. We did not order it, it was just placed on the table as soon as we walked in.

From there in forth, where ever we went to eat, the wait staff seemed to rush at us to put whatever their dish was down on the table; we would wave it off before it touched the table and they were often disappointed. But this is how you don't pay for something you neither ordered nor want. Now, if you'd like to try the dish, I suggest you ask how much it is before touching it (they will probably charge you for breathing on it).

Check Rio de Janeiro Hotel Deals