Don't drink the water!

Saint Petersburg, Russia

Don't drink the water! Saint Petersburg Reviews

jbo jbo
A warning we got Apr 26, 2009
You can't drink the water in St Petersburg. It has a bacteria in it that will make you really sick, so you have to be mindful not to have anything that contains it. That means being careful about ice in drinks and sometimes even salad, which might have been washed in water. Stick with the vodka is my advice :D

On the plus side, the food is great in Russia, so you won't have any trouble getting an amazing meal. And of course bottled water is fine (use this for brushing your teeth too).

Hope this helps!
jbo says:
Hmmmm. I HOPE the water situation isn't as dire as all that, but I guess it's worth checking out. It situation could very well have improved... or perhaps it depends on what your body is used to. Thanks for the tip though!
Posted on: Apr 26, 2009
parabellum says:
I actually have never heard about such permanent problem - this would be a nonsense for such a big city as St.Pete. In fact, tap water in both capitals doesn't taste well (although in St.Pete it's softer than in Moscow), therefore it's not recommended but it remains generally safe - at least for brushing teeth I wouldn't bother with bottled water for sure.
Posted on: Apr 26, 2009
andrewmarshall says:
I drank it but i was fine, but that is not a recommendation. probably be safe and dont do it
Posted on: Jul 14, 2007