Don Vicente de Ybor Historic Inn

Don Vicente de Ybor Historic Inn Rates and Deals

Don Vicente de Ybor Historic Inn Tampa Reviews

Chokk Chokk
Awesome hotel and extravaganza May 04, 2013
I had been staying on the Sarasota and I found the city too quiet for me and I felt in the need for some action and I found out that the Ybor area in Tampa might do the trick. I searched trough the hotels located in or near Ybor and I quickly felt for The Don Vicente de Ybor Historic Inn located in the middle of Ybor area and the reviews were great.

I actually had some trouble finding the hotel driving to it because it didn’t look like a hotel at all and it was located as the only building on a huge parking lot in the middle of the Ybor area. When I finally decided that the square building had to be the hotel I spotted the signs on the building and the free parking area behind it. Before entering I did not know anything about the Cuban area of Ybor and the history of the building but it all came to live as soon as I entered the amazing hotel.

The Ybor City founder, Vincente Martinez-Ybor constructed the building in 1895 as the Ybor Land and Improvement Company, a planning and development office for the community he wanted to create. At the turn of the century it became a health care clinic called El Bien Publico or ‘The good of the public” eventually transforming againinto The Gonzalez Clinic served the needs of thousands of Tampa residents until 1980.

After The Gonzalez Clinic closed, the building sat empty for the next 18 years, suffering the ravages of neglect, vagrants and fire. Jack Shiver saw the potential for the old building, and began refurishing it in 1998. Floors, trim, windows and support beams were painstakingly re-created by craftsmen to match the historical period of the building construction.

It took two years and two million dollars later before the building reopened as The Don Vicente de Ybor Historic Inn, Floridas premier boutique hotel. Featuring amazing hardwood floors where the ground floor brought me back to a classic ballroom; it truly looked astonishing. The lounge areas and the room I stayed in had Persian rugs, antiques and chandeliers. The hotel is not that large, because it has only 16 rooms.

I entered across the awesome ground floor and was completely taken by the mind-blowing staircase located next to the reception that was located in the corner and the wonderful wooden floor. There was a sweet woman sitting behind the counter and she showed a huge smile when I neared the counter with a matching smile. I was in a very good mood as well and in my talkative mood and I started by complemented the interior of the hotel. She told me the story of the house and told me that I was getting the best room of the hotel, which was located just above the reception.

I was one big smile, when I entered my room some minutes later. The first thing I saw was the humongous 4-pillar king size bed that was so tall that I had to do a Fosbury Flop to enter. The room just went on and on and I had a huge living room as well full of antiques and a huge blue Persian rug. I had 7 double glass doors with heavy blue curtains that went well with the white walls.

It was truly an amazing hotel and I later found out that it was located perfectly if you want to take advantages of the frisk and intense nightlife of Ybor.
The awesome staircase
The parking entrance
One of many lamps
The stunning bed

Don Vicente de Ybor Historic Inn Overview

The Don Vicente De Ybor is located in the heart of Tampa s historic district, Ybor City. Our 16 guestrooms feature modern amenities in an old European style setting. Guest rooms and foyer are decorated with persian rugs and antiques. Guests are invited to relax in the Grand Salon with a glass of wine or head out and discover Tampa s historic entertainment district.

Don Vicente de Ybor Historic Inn Amenities