Don Tomas

Cusco, Peru
Don Tomas - Appetisers were amazing...especially that spicy chutney like thing
Don Tomas - Potatoes with juanica sauce
Don Tomas - Dessert - sorry but wasn't sold!
Don Tomas - That's the lady at the entrance!
Don Tomas - I forgot what this is...but was tasty

Don Tomas Cusco Reviews

Vikram Vikram
Tasty food served with salt, pepper and lots of snobbery Nov 23, 2013
Blame it on the location, blame it on the fact that tourists frequent this place a lot, blame it on the fact that it's RIGHT next to the Cathedral, blame it on the fact that it's so modern, clean and elegant.

Food wise and comfort wise, you can't go wrong with this restaurant. Inviting tourists in is a woman dressed in Incan gear that couldn't look more bored if she tried, but yet smiles through the sunshine, dust and innumerable tourists asking if they can pose for a picture with her (yes, me included). Beats standing next to a little girl with a baby alpaca, and pay for that!

There's a mariachi kind of folksy band that plays indoor, and wanders around with a donation basket and copies of their "latest album" for patrons interested. Again, annoying but classy-annoying.

And then there's the FOOD itself!

The appetisers are heavenly, the white Andean cheese is out of the world and the spicy juanica sauce (kind of a peanut chutney) they serve with the big maize cobs are again, a treat to the taste buds.

There's plenty of choice for food for veggies and the carnivores. All neatly presented on the menu, explained and well cooked. Spicy - check. Lots of gravy - check.

They've even got a page dedicated to DESSERT. We all know Vikram LOVES dessert. Too bad I wasted my money and stomach trying some local speciality that to me tasted like marshmellow dipped generously in a pool of Nyquil.

But you hear me go on and on about how good this place is, so why did I rate it as not recommended then? ATTITUDE my friends, ATTITUDE. When I'm spending GOOD dosh at a foreign eatery, I'm not exactly expecting waiters to fawn all over me but the basic level of courtesy is required. You don't just shove the food down people's faces, erm...tables as if you didn't care.

And the highlight - the waiter bringing me the bill and proudly circling the part where it says Tip/Propina and yelling to me "this is where you E-N-T-E-R the tip".

And yes, you guessed it - I proudly entered Z-E-R-O and walked out!
That's the lady at the entrance!
Appetisers were amazing...especial…
Potatoes with juanica sauce
I forgot what this is...but was ta…
AussieMel82 says:
Bad service can ruin the whole experience
Posted on: Feb 05, 2014
halilee says:
Congrats on your featured review!
Posted on: Feb 01, 2014
ilserita says:
Congrats on the feature!! :)
Posted on: Jan 31, 2014