Don Quijote Barcelona

27 C/ Mallorca, Barcelona, Spain

Don Quijote Barcelona Reviews

ohtsarevich ohtsarev…
May 28, 2007
Don Quijote is a Spanish language school in Barcelona. I put it in this category because frankly I don't know where else to put it, though it isn't really a one-day activity.

The school offers Spanish courses from one week to.. as long as you like, really, at any level. I was personally a complete beginner when I started and I found the pace of the beginners' class to be a little bit too slow for me, because I pick up languages quite quickly, but had I asked to be placed in a more advanced or faster-paced class, that could have been arranged.

The learning material is very practical, though, and I did pick up Spanish a lot faster than I would have in school, for instance. The classes are all quite small, with a maximum of eight people. That way you can get to know your classmates very quickly, and you can be sure that everybody gets enough attention from the teachers. Unless you sign up for an extra intensive program, you will have four hours of class every day, either from 9am - 1pm or from 3pm - 7pm.

You have the option of also arranging your accomodation through the school. You can stay in the dormitories which are inside the school building, reserve an apartment for yourself or share an apartment with other students, or stay with a host family. If you prefer, you can of course arrange your own accomodation instead. I stayed with a host family, and chose to eat dinner with them as well, though that is also optional - if you choose not to, you pay less.

I found my host family to be incredibly friendly and helpful, and the food I got there was delicious! Technically, host families are supposed to converse in Spanish with you all the time, but since I was a complete beginner my host family addressed me in English when I did not understand something.

The only problem I had with the school was that the computer facilities they boast about were really not that great. There is one computer room with sixteen computers in it, and last I checked (this being mid-june 2007) eight of those computers were out of order, two were malfunctioning but still useable and all of them were very slow and quite old. Nonetheless, I could check my email and use MSN Messenger at school, for which I was grateful.

The school also organises one cultural, themed class a day (which is entirely and exclusively in Spanish, something I had not been informed of in advance), and I think one or two cultural outings around or outside the city every week. These activities and classes are fun and interesting and taught by people who clearly know and love their stuff, but you really have to be able to understand a decent amount of Spanish to be able to understand them.

All in all I had an absolutely wonderful experience at Don Quijote and I'd recommend it to anybody who wants to learn Spanish and still have fun! :)
pauluspoterlan says:
I am still at the school, and by now, all I can say is that I'm having a really good time in don Quijote Barcelona. Let's see how it endes... I must say I enjoy my teachers and classmates :)
Posted on: Jul 23, 2012
jteddyb says:
I took classes at Don Quijote in 2004 and 2007. Altogether it was enjoyable, esp. the culture sessions, walkin tours, and excursions. The main problem is the lack of reliable computer access.
Posted on: Nov 28, 2007
ohtsarevich says:
Excuse you? I wrote a positive review because I had a great time at the school. I WISH they paid me for saying nice things about them.

Nice of you to plug your own language school here while dismissing my review, too, very classy.
Posted on: Sep 16, 2007