Domkirkjan Cathedral

Reykjavik, Iceland

Domkirkjan Cathedral Reykjavik Reviews

Africancrab Africanc…
A charming Lutheran church of historical importance Oct 08, 2010
Domkirkjan Cathedral is one of Iceland's religious attractions. It does have the history of religion and politics combined. The construction of the church began in 1788 and was completed in 1796. Sarah, Mark and I, went by the church on our first night in Reykjavik. It was rather late and the lighting around the cathedral was less than sufficient to take a good shot, nonetheless I, snapped a few. The exterior is that of a normal church and the facade hardly qualifies it to be called a cathedral, it is the history of the church and the interior aisles that qualify it. It is also built with corrugated iron I believe, it is also perhaps the smallest cathedral I have ever seen.

The Domkirkjan is the location where Iceland's independence was first officially endorsed by the prevailing Lutheran church. Since 1845, members and cabinet ministers of every Alþing parliament have gathered here for a service before the annual session. It was also in this church that Iceland's national anthem (also a hymn) was first sung in 1874. I highly recommend it, do not judge it by it's simple exterior, the interior is quite intriguing.
Domkirkjan Cathedral, Iceland
Domkirkjan Cathedral, Iceland
Africancrab says:
Yes we did Sarah
Posted on: Oct 17, 2010
sarahsan says:
Did you manage to get inside on your last day?
Posted on: Oct 17, 2010