Domilise's Po-Boy & Bar

(504) 899-9126

Domilise's Po-Boy & Bar New Orleans Reviews

moviegal226 moviegal…
Decent but they Don't Like Tourists Sep 30, 2016
Domilise's first registered on my foodie radar when, while at the 2013 Sundance Film Festival, I attended a screening of the Thomas Lennon / Rob Corddry / Keegan-Michael Key movie "Hell Baby." This divey po'boy shop is featured prominently in the movie (the characters eat there multiple times while making nom nom noises and downing the famous sandwiches and Zapp's chips). When the movie ended, my husband and I turned to each other and said -- I kid you not -- "oh man, we HAVE to go to New Orleans so we can go to this place." So a few years later, we finally made it to New Orleans to eat!

I was mostly giddy about visiting a filming location so I have a ton of photos of the outside of the building. It's not much to look at, it's the very definition of a dive. The folks working there didn't seem to know much about the movie nor did they even want to talk about it, which I thought was weird. Maybe we were the first (and only) film tourists? Whatever, they were friendly enough. I think the owners and employees don't really like dealing with out of towners.

I asked what I should order and I was told the shrimp po'boy, Zapp's chips and a local beer. My sandwich was huge and freshly prepared while we waited in the very small and slightly decrepit dining room. The sandwich was just okay. The bread was pretty bland (hot sauce is a MUST), but the fried shrimp was crispy and had just the right amount of greasiness. By far the best part of the meal was the mini bag of Zapp's chips. I got the Voodoo Chips and GOOD LORD WERE THOSE THINGS TASTY! I pretty much turned the bag upside down and tried to spank the last bits of crumbs into my mouth (just as they did in the movie).

It's worth a visit for movie fans but I'm not sure it's a must-stop for foodies. I'm both a movie nerd and a foodie and I was more excited by the filming location than the lunch I had.
fried shrimp po-boy