Dolphin Encounters

Nassau, Bahamas

Dolphin Encounters Nassau Reviews

ChrisMcDevitt ChrisMcD…
Sea Lion Encounter at Dolphin Encounters Nov 24, 2010
My wife and I signed up for the California Sea Lion encounter on a recent cruise through Nassau. The entire excursion took around 4 hours or so, door to door. We paid $115 each for the encounter, and the photographs were available afterwards for $16 each, regardless of format (hard copy or digital on DVD), the videotape of the session was available for $58. They only take like 3 photographs per person and had I known that, I probably would have secured the video.

The encounter itself is amazing. The sea lions are incredibly well trained and seem to truly love their interactions with people. They'll demonstrate a slew of behaviors as well as give kisses and hugs, pose for pictures, present their front and back fins for inspection, open their mouths so you can feel their teeth, let you pet them and stick their tongue out at you.

Many people may tell you that Sea Lions smell, that's not true. The fish bucket the trainer has smells, so that may be where the confusion lies. We fed them, high fived them, and many other great interactions.

The gift shop and refreshment stand are a little overpriced. A 12 oz can of Pepsi is $2.50, as is a small bag of Doritos. The refreshment stand is essentially a Dollar Store where EVERYTHING is $2.50 each.

Unlike our Dolphin Encounter in Grand Bahama, the on-site photog didn't shoot off three hundred pics and offer us the whole set for an inflated rate (I really wish they would have), instead we had one posed photo alone with a sea lion, one together with your group, and one of you hugging a sea lion. Each photo costs $16 each.

A ferry is provided from the ship harbor, and you make one stop at Atlantis Paradise Island to pick up additional tourgoers.

The whole experience was well worth the price of admission and I wholeheartedly recommend this once-in-a-lifetime experience to anyone who has already had their fill of "dolphin swims and encounters".
The Bahaman home of Sea Lions, Dol…
Sea Lion's BELCH all the time.
Sea Lion's at play.
Group photo with two Sea Lions.
X_Drive says:
We are looking forward to doing a Dolphin encounter in Miami at the end of our upcoming cruise! :D
Posted on: Aug 05, 2012
IrishLass85 IrishLas…
Fun with Flipper Jul 07, 2009
While I was visiting the Bahamas, I had the chance to go over to the Dolphin Encounters. I didn't get a chance to swim with the dolphins, but I did do the Meet and Greet with them. It was my first time around a dolphin so I didn't really know what to expect. I have to admit, it was a really cool experience. The staff was really friendly and entertaining. The dolphins were gentle and fun to play with. You get to pet the dolphin, feel their teeth and tongue, feed them a fish, hug them and dance with them. (Again, I didn't get a chance to swim with them, just the meet and greet) You can also get your picture taken with the dolphin giving you a kiss on the cheek.

I recommend this to everyone! Just be sure to book it in advance. It fills up extremely fast!
Shaon Shaon
Swimming with dolphins! Jun 09, 2008
It is a little bit expensive (swimming was $165 and close encounters was $85) but so totally worth it! They have two programmes and I did the Swim-With-The-Dolphins. After a orientation, it´s about 30 minute swim with the dolpin! You will be able to kiss, hug and feed these amazing mammals! And the highlight is the incredible foot push!! That alone is worth all dollars you spend in this.. This was one highlights in my holiday. Everything was well organised and the place was incredible.

The whole programme takes like 3 hours including boat trip from Paradise Island Ferry Terminal to Blue Lagoon Island where the Encounters is located. It is truely a paradise on earth and a once in a lifetime experience. And it is a home of Universal Pictures "Flipper"!
Andy99 Andy99
Up Close with a Dolphin Jun 24, 2007
The Dolphin Encounter is a popular family activity in Nassau. The Encounter enables participants to stand in a pool where they can "meet" a dolphin and interact with it. The dolphin is under the guidance of a trainer and will perform tricks, demonstrate behaviors, and shake its fin with you. It's fun for all ages and children especially enjoy the live interaction.

The encounter begins with an orientation film about dolphins in the wild and how they are trained for the program. You need to wear a swimsuit to enter the pool. Lockers and changing rooms are provided. It's advisable to already be wearing your swimsuit when you arrive. The encounter take place in groups and you'll be able to enter the line much faster. Photos are taken of you and your group with the dolphins. Prints may be purchased.

An observation area is provided for visitors who do not wish to enter the pool for the encounter. (Reduced admission.)

The Dolphin Encounter takes place on Blue Lagoon Island (Salt Cay), reached by ferry. Blue Lagoon Island has a refreshment area and gift shop while you are waiting for a return ferry.

Per person cost for the Dolphin Encounter (including transportation from Paradise Island) is $98. Cruise ships calling at Nassau usually offer the Dolphin Encounter as a shore excursion.
Julia meets Shawn the dolphin
Entrance to Blue Lagoon Island (Sa…
Dolphin Encounter pool
Glynnes says:
An informative review. Thanks!
Posted on: Aug 15, 2010

Related Travel Blogs About Dolphin Encounters

Historic Nassau, Bahamas
Carnival Pride was due in Nassau, on New Providence Island, at 11:00 a.m. I spotted a sailboat about 9:30 as we finished breakfast at the Mermaid Grille up on the Lido and then sighted land a short t…Nassau, in 2007, we only had time to do the Dolphin Encounter at Salt Cay. That took up the entire…

Check Nassau Hotel Deals