Dolphin Bar Shrimp House

(772) 781-5136

Dolphin Bar Shrimp House Jensen Beach Reviews

jdsgos jdsgos
Great place for happy hour. May 26, 2008
Okay, so I live in Fort Lauderdale and my good friend, Gwen, lives in Stuart. Which is about an hour and a half north of me via I-95. Usually she is nice enough to come down and crash with me on weekends. So I figured that I would return the favor on my days off during the week.

Anyway, the reason I went up on a week day was so I could see this so-called 'marine center' she told me about. In a word - the place SUCKED! It was horrid, most of the exhibits weren't even open. I'd say only about 20% (I'm being nice here) was open to the public. I'll get to writing a review about this place later. So I told Gwen she'd have to get me drunk so I could forget about the place. So there was a silver lining after all.

And that silver lining was the Dolphin Bar & Shrimp House. The place was frigging awesome. My advice - just skip the sit-down part of the place and head straight to Dolphin Bar (inside) or the tiki bar outside. The entire back wall of the bar is a huge window over looking the inlet. The tiki bar has a view of the marina, which isn't as nice. The menu prices for this place is pretty average for South Florida. But the best thing is - during happy hour, most of the appetizers are 50% off. And some of the stuff was pretty frigging good, and this is coming from a guy who's super picky about his food.

Gwen and I had the buffalo shrimps, which were enough for three to share. They were pretty good but a little on the spicy side for me. Then we had pot stickers. The dumplings were average but the dipping sauce was superb. Then came the freshly blacken dolphin fingers. They were moist and spicy with just the right amount of blacken seasoning. Then the fish dip - IT WAS AWESOME. It was so good, I ordered another serving before we even finished the first one. And its even made locally. Next time I am in Stuart, I'm gonna be stocking up on that stuff. Next we had some wings. The wings had a mildly spicy island seasoning on them. Almost 'jerk' like but very tasty. Again there was enough for three people. Then the fried squid - which was only average. And finally we had a bowl of the lobster and shrimp bisque. It was pretty good, very rich and actually filling. There was even little lumps of shrimp and lobster meat in the bisque. We had all of this food and a ton of Bass (my fave) beer for under $35. And that is pretty frigging cool.

But be warned, once happy hour is up - so are the cheap prices. Our bill went from $35 to $110 in no time. Actually most of the bill by then was drinks.

Since the bar is located on the water, you can see a ton of fish from the outside smoking area. Apparently the place has been tossing scraps of shrimp shells (from the peel-and-eats) into the water forever. So any time the fishes see people hanging around outside, they swim right up to the seawall. And if someone tosses some scraps into the water, they go into a crazy feeding frenzy. Cheap food and drinks and cheap entertainment - man, I'm easily amused in my old age :-)

So if you're passing through Jensen Beach and would like some good eats, stop in. But like I said, head straight for the bar. The view and prices are much better. So enjoy.
reikunboy says: