Dolores Park

Dolores Park - Clarion Alley

Dolores Park San Francisco Reviews

irenem irenem
Mission Dolores Jan 25, 2017
I love old buildings so when I found out that Mission Dolores was the oldest building in San Francisco I really wanted to see it. However, I messed up big time. I had planned a day that involved visiting the Mission District, the Castro, Alamo Square then Haight Ashbury, but for some reason I decided to change the order to Alamo Square, Haight Ashbury, the Castro, then the Mission. The result we arrived at Mission Dolores just as it closed, so we could only view it from the outside. Oh well! Such is life!

The Misión San Francisco de Asís was founded on June the 29th, 1776, under the leadership of Father Junipero Serra. It is the oldest original Mission in California. Nowadays Mission Dolores Parish is made up of both the Old Mission and a larger, newer basilica. They are next to each other.

After looking at Mission Dolores, we walked to Clarion Alley to look at the murals there.

I had read that the Mission District was an area where you had to be careful and use street smarts. I must admit I did not feel too comfortable in that alleyway just as the sun was beginning to go down. There was a big group of young guys hanging around the centre of the alley. They were doing no harm, but we decided not to pass them and to get out of the area before darkness fell, so we looked at just some of the murals and left.

The murals themselves were mainly political in nature and quite interesting. Some of them were really very beautiful.
Mission Dolores
Clarion Alley
Clarion Alley
thenewextrememimi thenewex…
Oct 02, 2006
Delores Park is a stretch of green lawn in the middle of Mission Delores.

The actual infrastructure consists of not much more than a playground, some benches and some trees, but on weekends and sunny days, the park fills with up with people and pockets of urban quirkiness. In one corner, there may be am actual tightrope that someone's left for people to try out. In another, a band may play, and some dude selling pot brownies is slowly making his rounds to all the Castro-ites and Mission-ians getting their sun. For my friend Michelle's birthday, we set up a slip and slide in the middle of the park and everyone joined in.

The terrain slopes gently uphill, and from the upper sections of the park you can see downtown San Francisco. There's an ideallic view from a picturesque bench in one corner of the park -- but good luck getting a picture in this often crowded place -- there's most like a cute gay couple hogging that spot by the time you get there.

Nearby, you can pick up coffee, ice cream or lunch, or stroll down palm-lined Delores and admire the San Francisco victorians. From picnics and birthday parties to movie nights in the park, Delores Park has something for everyone (unless you're looking for solitude), all jammed into a 2 block X 1 block stretch (they're long blocks).

Related Travel Blogs About Dolores Park

Canada, New York, San Francisco
Dear people, Usually I don't write about my trips, and now I know why. Bloody, it takes FOREVER! I probably will never again - not after the fact anyway, and not for such a long trip. And they're…Dolores Park. I felt like Austin walked me right through my few days in San Francisco. He pointed me to the perfect…

Check San Francisco Hotel Deals