Doka Coffee Estate

Alajuela, Costa Rica

Doka Coffee Estate Alajuela Reviews

Cho Cho
Coffee plantation tour Apr 08, 2013
This is the first part of the Combo tour we took in San Jose, Costa Rica in April 2013. This tour comprised of the Doka coffee estate, Poas volcano and La Paz Waterfall Gardens, all of them located in Alajuela province.

On the morning of the tour we managed to have a quick breakfast at our hotel before the tour van came to fetch us at 6:30. We were the first to be picked up, and 11 more people from various hotels around San Jose got on the van to make a total of 15 (including the guide and driver) in our party. We didn't complain about our early pick up though, because we had the chance to see different parts of the city as we went from hotel to hotel for the other passengers.

Our guide's name was Hernan. The tourists came from several countries; two brothers from Germany, a couple from Romania, three elderly folks from California, a mother and daughter from England and another couple from New York, quite a diverse group!

On the way to the coffee plantation the guide introduced himself, and briefed us on the places we would be going to and the attractions we would see. He seemed quite friendly and spoke excellent English.

The journey was uphill most of the way, and the guide stopped once alongside the road to let us take photos of San Jose and the Central Valley below. When we reached the coffee plantation we were served breakfast. I don't know about the other people in our group, but it was a double breakfast for the two of us!

I am a coffee drinker, and I had heard before that Costa Rican coffee is reputed to be among the best in the world. The plantation itself is located on the fertile slopes of the Poas volcano, and the guide told us that the rich soil there, plus the ideal altitude and climate have made this place famous for its gourmet coffee.

After breakfast, we walked along with Hernan on the grounds of the estate. He was very thorough in explaining to us how the coffee trees are planted, the process involved in the cultivation, harvesting and roasting of the coffee beans. He took us to the warehouse and processing plants and showed us the old and new techniques used by the experts to produce best quality coffee for both export and domestic use.

The guide told us that the majority of the workers there came from Nicaragua, and they were provided free accommodation and food. We didn't see what type of accommodation, and for that matter, not many laborers were around as it was the off season. There are a significant number of Nicaraguans who come to work in Costa Rica as manual laborers, as the wages there are much higher than in their own country.

There is also a coffee shop in the vast compound to browse through and purchase several different blends/brands. I just bought one small packet for US$8 which I thought was rather costly. Anyway, after this tour I felt that my knowledge of how coffee is made, beginning with the saplings to the finished product has been greatly enhanced!

For coffee lovers I would recommend this tour, but only as part of the Combo package (combined with the volcano and waterfall tours). I don't think they organize separate trips to just the Coffee plantation anyway.
Sign proclaiming, "The Real Coffee…
Stopped at this luxury hotel (Marr…
We stopped here at this view point
Panoramic view of the Central Vall…
Cho says:
@EmEm: Thank you, as you know, I like to drink coffee from different countries around the world!
Posted on: Aug 04, 2015
EmEm says:
very nice review... i feel like i was there in the same tour with you
Posted on: Aug 04, 2015
diisha392 says:
Hey, I went on this same tour two summers ago!
Posted on: Apr 09, 2013