Doheny House B&B

Check Dublin Hotel Deals

Doheny House B&B Dublin Reviews

mainhart mainhart
A Tale of 2 B&B's Oct 10, 2009
This B&B was a very strange experience. During my trip to Ireland I was spending 2 separate times in Dublin, surrounding a trip to Galway. I booked 3 nights at the Doheny House after reading positive reviews about it on Tripadvisor. I needed somewhere cheap, but clean. When I got there a nice middle-aged Irish woman greeted me as friendly as can be. She took me next door and brought me to a room there. She took me through a hallway that was very messy and the decor dated. My room did not have a private bath as advertized. While my room was clean and the bed very comfortable, there was clothing hanging in corners of the room. Moreover it was CLUTTERED. The bathroom seemed as if it was her bathroom, as it was kind of clean, but not to a hotel standard. It was also very cluttered and the toilet did not always flush. Since I was sharing this with other people I was not comfortable with this at all. The homemade Irish breakfast given in the Breakfast room was first rate though, so I dealt with the awkwardness. What choice did I have anyway?

When I was in Galway I searched the internet for another place to stay when I returned to Dublin, but could not find anything I could afford. So I resigned myself to a couple more awkward days in this B&B. This time however was VERY different. When I arrived she brought me into a room in the main house, which was lovely and had a very clean private bath, pretty much what I expected on my first trip. It was a completely different and more amenable experience for the same price. My only conclusion was that either she overbooked for my first stay, or she prematurely opened up those rooms next door, in what can be considered an annex. So if you choose to stay in the Doheny House, ask to stay in the main house. Then it is quite the bargain.

Check Dublin Hotel Deals