526 South 4th Street, Philadelphia, PA, USA - (215) 922-7151

Django Philadelphia Reviews

mrgishi mrgishi
Casual BYO with Top Flight Seasonal Food Apr 29, 2008
Django is located in the Olde City part of Philadelphia just south of Society Hill. This area has a lot of brick sidewalks and some cobblestone streets. On a nice day, it's a great walk from Independence Mall. When I was there the trees were blooming and people were take rides in horse-drawn carriages. Django is small and very casual, but it is extremely popular. The limited tables make it difficult to get a reservation. I would recommend booking at least 4 weeks in advance, maybe even more for a prime time Saturday reservation. Django is known for offering a seasonal menu that changes every month. They use the freshest of ingredients from local farms and markets. The prices are a little steep for a BYO in a place that looks like typical family dining room, but you save a lot by bring your own wine. Not knowing the menu in advance and what we might want to order, we brought 5 wines to cover our bases.

We started with an amuse bouche of rockfish ceviche. You could tell that the fish and other ingredients were very fresh, but they were a little overpowered by the very salty, buttery cracker they were sitting on. My appetizer was crispy sweetbreads with a poached egg on top. The sweetbreads were cooked to perfection and quite salty, which I loved. My entree was a pork chop schnitzel that was incredibly huge. It was also topped with an egg, this one sunny side up. There were also dollops of very flavorful slaw around the dish that had powerful tasting capers, cilantro and possibly anchovy. I could not finish the dish, but I left very satisfied.

Check Philadelphia Hotel Deals