Lucasbolwerk 19, Utrecht, Netherlands - +31 302319101

Djakarta. Utrecht Reviews

trippinginnederland tripping…
Delicious Indo-Asian food in Utrecht. Nov 03, 2010
This restaurant has been here since the 80s. My boyfriend's dad gave me a treat at Djakarta, after returning from our Iceland trip. Djakarta is famous for their rijsttafel (literally translated as 'rice table'), something rather Dutch mixed with Indonesian.

As starters, we were served a plate of loempia (Vietnamese fried spring roll, that's why I titled it as 'Indo-Asian' because Loempia is not an Indonesian dish), fried Chinese dumpling (no idea what was the filling but it was 'lekker' aka delicious) and achar, which is preserved vegetable in vinegar and sugar.

This is cute and I'd seen this before in a Chinese restaurant in the Netherlands. They would place this portable heater on the table so then they plates will be placed on top of it. You'll know what I mean when you see the photos.

After the starters, we were served a tray of different types of cold side dishes. Such as deep fried tapioca chips, pickled cucumber, achar, potato chips fried in sweet sambal and et cetera.

One the heater, we had beef rendang, nasi goreng (fried rice), satay, different types of curry and goreng pisang (fried banana). It was really delicious and spicy.

The place is rather dark but yet cosy and quite crowded on a week day, so business must be good. It can be quite cold there, probably something wrong with their heaters and I guess they do take-aways too. Feel free to explore the website even though it is in Dutch but I reckon you'll be able to figure it out.

I recommend this place for good food and if you're willing to spend quite a hefty sum :) That is why I didn't put this as 4 out of 5. It is on the outskirt of the city of Utrecht thus, you might need some time finding this place if you're new to it.
Starter: Loempia, fried dumpling a…
Indonesian beer.
Rijsttafel - Cold side dishes.

Check Utrecht Hotel Deals