Dixie Fried Chicken

728 East Sugarland Highway, Clewiston, FL, USA
(863) 983-6656
Dixie Fried Chicken - Fried alligator, hush puppies, fries and coleslaw :)
Dixie Fried Chicken - The Elvis statue
Dixie Fried Chicken - Very simple decor, with the TV mounted in the corner and Elvis stuff on the walls

Dixie Fried Chicken Clewiston Reviews

Jamal1280 Jamal1280
Semi-rural country cooking May 15, 2012
It's silly that I'm just writing this review, as I've been here many times when driving to visit my friend and her mom in Fort Myers from West Palm Beach. In fact, I make it a point to stop at this place pretty much every time I make that drive on State Road 80 through Clewiston, a tiny, sleepy town in Hendry County.

Dixie Fried Chicken is a rather unassuming restaurant; it's pretty easy to miss unless you know exactly where it is. I sometimes still pass it accidentally when I'm driving through town lol.

The decor inside is pretty basic. They use to have tables and booths, but when I visited recently, I noticed that they have all tables now. I have no idea why they took the booths out.

One thing that does stand out about the restaurant: The owner is obsessed with Elvis Presley. Every where you look, there's a photo or some kind of poster of The King on the walls, and they even have a statue of him inside.

OK, about the food: The menu has lots of country, southern dishes, including catfish, porkchops, country fried steak and, as it's name indicates, fried chicken. That's just a sample of the menu though, because there really are a lot of foods you can get, as well as cakes and pies.

But when I come here, I always order one of two things: The fried alligator meat and/or frogs legs. :)

For those of you who have never tasted them...alligator meat is chewy and tastes the way a chicken might taste if it were an aquatic creature. It's usually very good, but I have to admit that this time when I had it at Dixie, it was a bit on the salty side :( I still ate it though, with tartar sauce on top and hush puppies (fried balls of cornmeal), french fries and coleslaw. I didn't have frog legs this time, but the taste, again, is similar to chicken, only a bit more sour tasting. Also usually very good :)

So yeah, I like this place, and I recommend it. The food in general is not expensive, but I must admit that the alligator and frog legs generally cost more. My plate of food cost about $13; not too bad, but more than I would usually pay for an average lunch.

If you find yourself wandering State Road 80 for some odd reason (this isn't exactly a tourist town, so you'd probably need a reason to be driving all the way out here lol), and you're looking for some good southern grub, give Dixie a try. :)
The Elvis statue
Very simple decor, with the TV mou…
Fried alligator, hush puppies, fri…
traveller142009 says:
Congrats on your featured review...I thought I was an adventurous eater but fried gators and frog legs...ummm, I'll have to work up to it!
Dr_Seuss says:
Congrats on the feature Jamal. Sometimes we forget what is most familiar to us isn't to everyone else.
Jamal1280 says:
Thanks very much everyone! :)

Check Clewiston Hotel Deals