Diving with Waiwo Dive Resort in Raja Ampat

Raja Ampat, Indonesia
www.new.waiwor4.com - +62 853 4451 5123
Diving with Waiwo Dive Resort in Raja Ampat - Back to Waiwo Dive Resort at dusk.
Diving with Waiwo Dive Resort in Raja Ampat - The jetty at Yenbuba where the third dive took place; I skipped that dive.
Diving with Waiwo Dive Resort in Raja Ampat - The beautiful sandbar where we had our surface intervals.
Diving with Waiwo Dive Resort in Raja Ampat - Waiwo Dive Resort's jetty.

Diving with Waiwo Dive Resort in Raja Ampat Reviews

alexchan alexchan
Good dive outfit spoilt by their front-man Jun 25, 2014
I woke and didn’t feel positive about diving at all. I think it had to do with the dive centre contact (Mr Romy at Waiwo Dive Resort) that I had been dealing with. He was very non-committal about all information he had given, eg. whether there were other guests, price and whether I could only do two dives instead of three. It made it look like a dodgy outfit.

Apet, the hotel worker took me on the 20 min hilly ride to Waiwo. I headed to the dive centre where I had hoped to find Romy. As it turned out, he is an office-person. To make it worse, Romy hadn’t told them of my intention to dive, but later when the divemasters rang him, he said to expect two people in my group! Arrgh!!!

On the other hand, everyone at the dive centre (all locals) were helpful and informative. My gear was all fitted out in no time. I had called for a Medium “Beh Che Deh” (BCD), only to be told that in Indonesian it is still pronounced as “Bee See Dee”.

We set off at 0900 with a group of four friendly Indonesians of very mixed ages. Due to rough conditions near Waiwo, we had to go dive somewhere more sheltered.

The first dive was at Perkuburan (Cemetery) which is off Pulau Kri; in fact I think it is actually Koranu Fyak’s house reef. Damn! That’s where I’m headed tomorrow to stay and for more diving the day after! The second dive was at Ransiwor.

Both dives were OK for me. For many people it would have been quite good (as I’ve been very spoilt with having relatively good access to Sipadan). The coral was great, the visibility not so at around 15m. There wasn’t so much fish to see except near the end of both dives where they were some small reef fish. Over the two dives, I did see a couple of good stonefish and one turtle (plus some macro stuff which I don’t care so much for).

The rest of the group did a third dive at Yenbuba. It turned out to be the best dive of the day with some sharks and barracudas. I mildly wished I had done this one instead but didn’t care that much.

As I returned to the resort, there were a couple of uniformed officials standing around. I wonder if they were checking for dive permits. As I acted local along with the others, they didn’t ask any questions. But I was secretly glad that I didn’t try to skip buying the permit as some people had suggested.

In summary, Waiwo Dive Resort is quite a good place to dive with if you can avoid Mr Romy (+62 853 4451 5123) and speak to the dive centre directly. That may require you to make a special trip there a day in advance to sort things out.
Waiwo Dive Resort's jetty.
The beautiful sandbar where we had…
The jetty at Yenbuba where the thi…
Back to Waiwo Dive Resort at dusk.

Check Raja Ampat Hotel Deals