Diving on Pulau Alor / Pulau Kepa

Pulau Kepa, Indonesia

Diving on Pulau Alor / Pulau Kepa Reviews

alexchan alexchan
Clear waters with muck diving available too Jun 30, 2013
I did two days of diving with alor-diving.com based at La Petite Kepa. Their normal routine is 2 dives per day, leaving on their boat around 0730 and returning around 1330. Dives are EUR33 with all equipment.

THE DIVING EXPERIENCE (DAY 1)

On the first day, we started at Abila Pura where the current was strong. I got separated from the group slightly and had to fight the current to keep close to them. As a result, my dive was shorter than my usual (about 35 minutes). The coral wall was beautiful and the highlight was the mandarin fish.

As I found out later, the strong current was due to the lunar perigee (close to the earth on its elliptical orbit) combined with a recent full moon.

The second dive was at Matap Alor which was described as a muck dive. While it wasn’t exactly mucky, there were various critters to be seen. Cedric pointed out a couple of ghost pipefish, young batfish (black and orange with very odd proportions, it was very tall and short!) and a demon fish. It was very cold (a relative term) at first at 24degC, and going down to depths of 30m meant that I lasted only about 40 minutes (again shorter than my usual).

THE DIVING EXPERIENCE (DAY 2)

On the second day, both dives were muck dives in order to avoid strong currents due to the lunar perigee and recent full moon. That’s quite an irony because the waters around Alor are very clear.

The first was Pertamina, just of the pier where fuel is shipped in. Visibility was really low at around 2m. The second dive was at Lobang where visibility was better.

Both dives were shallow which meant that I lasted about 60 minutes, with some of the others going for nearly 90 minutes!

As I had very low expectations of muck dives, I ended up liking it more than expected. There are plenty of critters camouflaged as leaves, rock, coral etc. It certainly helps to have someone point them out to you. The highlight is the sabelle, a kind of worm that looks like a spiky brushy flower that retracts into nothing when one gets close to it.

Muck diving is growing on me but right now, you can give me a good reef anyday!

THE DIVE BOAT & DIVE OPERATOR

The dive boat is big roomy and equipped with a toilet. There is also a nice sundeck. It can also double as a liveaboard if required.

As for the dive operator, they are very casual. There is no paper work and they expect you to be upfront with your experience.

Most customers have done hundreds or thousands of dives. They are also repeat customers that come from afar. I probably wouldn’t be so comfortable here if I had been a brand new diver. If you are new, I’d suggest you make it clear so you can receive a little more attention.
The roomy dive boat in the backgro…
The captain taking a break.
Kids in the bay.