Diving in Biak

Kota Biak, Indonesia

Diving in Biak Kota Biak Reviews

alexchan alexchan
Try to come with some friends otherwise will cost you! Jun 13, 2014
If you’re a solo traveller in Biak and wish to dive, you’ll have to be very lucky or very rich. There aren’t many travellers or divers around so if you don’t team up with them, you’ll end up shelling a bomb for a private trip. Eg. IDR6.5m for 6 dives over two days.

I made contact with three places and one out of three managed to do something for me.

BIAK DIVE RESORT

Biak Dive Resort (http://biakdiveresort.com/) managed to team me up with some local dive journalists who were very nice. Mr Yudith (Mob +62 813 3059 9930) the owner and divemaster is an affable guy and speaks English.

He dispenses with the paperwork; no forms to sign. He does do a good pre-dive briefing and all the dive gear is in near new and in tip-top condition.

For the single dive that I did, we went to Wundi Cave which was quite far away from town. The group jumped and descended into a chasm, then swam through the lowest of three holes leading into a crevasse. At the dead-end, we ascended and came out through the higher hole. We then made our way along a wall along (on our right side).

The visibility wasn’t that good but it added an eeriness to the feel of the abyss when it came to the crevasse and the wall. There was the usual small stuff to see, along with lots of hard coral on the wall plus a few micro stuff.

It was a great day for me as I hadn’t experienced a cave in my dives before. It wasn’t technically a cave I don’t think, so I was allowed to do it with no special training.

BIAK PADIVING

Erick Farwas (Mob +62 813 4436 6385) is the only dive outfit listed in the current edition of the Lonely Planet. He was helpful but had no other guests at the time of my visit, which meant that he couldn’t offer me an affordable solution.

I'm not sure if he speaks English.

COOLIO

I saw Coolio (+62 852 4496 0506) taking a group out from the harbour when I was having my breakfast on my patio. I quickly ran out to speak to him about joining him the next day. He quoted a price of about IDR1.2m for 2 dives. When I realised that the French group too welcoming about having me join them (along with having to do my travel permit), I decided not to go.

Also, I had hoped to dive the wreck of the Catalina flying boat. That wasn’t on the cards for them.

I’m not sure if he speaks English.
Kota Biak Map