12 Upper St Martins Lane, London, United Kingdom - 020 7420 9320

Dishoom London Reviews

mezi mezi
Avoid! Aug 20, 2012
Went here with a group of 20. Table was booked in advance, arrived there and 2 people were positioned on each table that seats just one usually! Was so difficult to eat with no space to move elbows. If they couldn't cater for 20 in the same manner they cater for smaller groups they should never have accepted the booking. On top of this we were made to have set menus. This set menu was priced at I think £23 per person. A set menu usually implies every person on the table will get the same dishes. This was not the case. The dishes were chosen by the person who made our booking, however 1 dish arrived on each table to share between 4! Between 4 people we paid close to £100 with service charge for what was maybe food for 2 people to share - a complete rip off! How can you even share some dishes between 4 people e.g. Pau bhaji (1 bun in 2 halves, with veg curry) = a quarter bun each! My table wasn't even served some dishes the other tables were e.g. Samosas and the naan bread tin - had to steal them from the table next to us!

On top of that the food was very bland to say the least. No flavour at all, especially the mutter paneer (peas with cheese). The chicken biryani was probably the best thing put infront of me out of about 7 dishes, though again had no real flavour! I was very disappointed because I heard it was an authentic Bombay cafe. The food completely disappointed me. I'd rather pay to use the London underground and travel to areas in greater London where the food is tasty and for the same price paid here (approximately £25) can feed a family of 4!

Not sure how other people liked this place. It does no justice to authentic Indian cuisine.
sbhat72 sbhat72
Amazingly affordable Indian restaurant in the heart of London Apr 20, 2011
Indian food is popular in the UK. Personally, I tend to avoid Indian restaurants as I figure I can cook it myself. However, I was dragged kicking and screaming to Dishoom and i was completely bowled over. The decor, the service and, ultimately, the food itself is an absolute delight. This is no mediocre curry house. Everything on the menu makes for good eating (I've been through the menu) and if you're in London and you fancy an Indian then you cannot go wrong with this gem.
sarahelaine sarahela…
Dishoom Sep 14, 2010
Dishoom is a really nice Indian restaurant in Covent Garden. It has a much smaller menu than most Indian restaurants, focusing on a handful of dishes and small plates rather than every possible variation on curry. It also doesn’t look like a curry house. In fact, a recent review in a national paper criticised it for looking like a chain restaurant in Basingstoke. Firstly, that isn’t really true. Dishoom certainly doesn’t look like a normal curry house, because it isn’t one. Normal curry houses have a long menu, tiny tables, and plinky sitar music on, and usually a print of a prince chasing a tiger. Dishoom has gone for black walls, cool mirrors, lots of adverts from Indian newspapers, jazz and very nice lighting. I don’t think that makes it look like a chain restaurant, so much as just a bit different. It does break my usual rule of avoiding overly well decorated restaurants in case they are focusing on looking cool rather than on the kitchens, but once again, I was wrong. The food is great.

And second, if Dishoom became a chain restaurant (as far as I know they have no plans for that!) I would be delighted. It’s great. Although the menu is short and has some unfamiliar things on it, the food was amazing. Actually, a short menu is often better than a long one because they do each thing well. It was one of the best Indian meals I have had in ages; it was light, and not greasy, and the portion sizes were great. Most importantly it tasted amazing. There is a sign saying they grind their own spices daily and I can believe that.

One of the most impressive things, for me, was the range of non alcoholic drinks. There were several different kinds of Lhassi (which I love) and lemonades, so if you don’t feel like drinking alcohol there is something more appealing than syrupy coke to drink. I can really recommend the Bhang Lhassi, which I had without rum. It was the prettiest drink I’ve ever had and tasted faintly of roses and herbs, in a good way. If you want something a little less pink, then the Indian lemonade was gorgeous too.

But the absolutely best thing was the Kulfi. I love kulfi normally, and this was the best I've ever had. Light, honey and pistachio flavoured, and just wonderful – I would happily go back and just eat kulfi all night if I thought I could get away with it!

The service was prompt, friendly, and good. The toilets were spotless. I will probably go back sometime.
In the bathroom!
anupa_rk says:
When I saw the review titled "Dishoom", I knew it had to be about something Indian! :D
Glad you liked it. I'm impressed that they've managed to keep the food light and non greasy. I think thats where most Indian restaurants mess up.
Sounds like a fabulous place. Thanks for the review!
Posted on: Sep 16, 2010