Discover Inn

Dili, East Timor

Discover Inn Dili Reviews

goezi goezi
Great dining Oct 28, 2009
The Discovery Inn is located in a handy location, close to the ANZ bank and just East of the Dili city center.

It doesn't look like much from the outside but as you enter into the main reception there is a surprising water feature and staircase in the open air space opposite the check-in desk.

I didn't stay for a night at the Discovery, our visit was all about fine dining Timor Leste style. The restaurant at the Discovery Inn is reputed to be the finest in Dili and I must say the experience was the best I've yet had in this country. It was much like you'd expect in any fine restaurant with staff well trained in their duties and the kitchen on full show through a window at the rear of the dining room.

They handled the 25 of us very easily even though there were several other large groups filling the tables. The food (I had curried goat) was plentiful and very well prepared. I understand the chefs are all Pakistani so that could explain the quality of the curry). All the others in our group were happy with the quality of their meals and although we paid about $25 each, it was a reasonable cost in comparison with dining elsewhere in Dili.

We were at the table along the back wall and as this was a bamboo woven wall the night made it's way in keeping us relatively cool. Unfortunately with the night, a rather unpleasant smell also crept in but this was the only negative experience. I don't believe other diners would have noticed it at all due to them being further inside the room. I guess it's a typical Dili aroma but it was not needed when we were enjoying good food.
Discovery Inn frontage
goezi says:
It's a lovely dish! First had it in Jamaica and loved it there too.
Posted on: Nov 11, 2009
sylviandavid says:
thanks for the report on the great food.... I love that you had curried goat! sylvia
Posted on: Nov 06, 2009