Lot 6.01.05, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Din Tai Fung Kuala Lumpur Reviews

trippin_jen trippin_…
Din Tai Fung Jan 20, 2016
3 Words: Chinese - Good - Expensive

When nearing to Chinese New Year, it is very common to toss Yee Sang (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yusheng) for prosperity. Yee Sang or Yu Sheng (Cantonese/Mandarin) was originated from Malaysia although Singapore often claim that this special dish "belongs" to them (so as many other dishes.. oh well). So far it has been popular here in Malaysia and Singapore, but not yet to other countries with sizeable Chinese population.

Although it's supposed to be a Chinese dish served in Chinese Restaurants about a month before CNY until the last (15th) day of CNY, many Japanese restaurants seem to start offering this dish too, just to cater to local taste. However, if you want authenticity, always go for the Chinese Restaurant.

This was my first time dining at Din Tai Fung. I've heard of this place many times and it's rather popular for its quality of food, but it's also one of the "higher range" restaurant chains. Serving typical Chinese menu, you can just open the menu, simply point to an item and I'm pretty sure it'll turn out to be one of the best choices.

Under normal circumstances I would not dine here simply because I feel it's quite up-class for a normal-day dine. But it's CNY, I wanted to toss Yee Sang, it was my friend's birthday, and this was one of the cheaper options at the mall, so...

Portions are big. We ordered a "Set Menu for 1" to be shared by the 2 of us, and it consists of Fried Rice, Xiao Long Pao Dumplings, Vegetable, Soup and Dessert. We ordered the small portion of Yee Sang separately, which can actually serve maybe 3-4 people. Total bill came up to MYR 110 split almost equally between the 2 items we ordered. It is expensive, but it was a very satisfying meal - too much though.

Service was fast and good. Cleanliness worth an applause. Ambiance, well, it was ok, probably slightly noisy, but that's just normal for Chinese Restaurants where you can expect high decibel.

It's been probably a year since I last had a proper Chinese meal which usually consist of what that was mentioned above, so it was really good. If you're in for some authentic Chinese (no, I'm not talking about takeouts!), you may want to consider this.

Do expect to come out with your tummy few pounds heavier while your wallet few cm thinner.
Din Tai Fung - Yee Sang before the…
Din Tai Fung- Dessert
gingerbatik says:
yes I tried it in Singapore and I have a Malaysian friend live in NZ and she invited me for chinese new year and cook Yee Sang;) It was pretty good
trippin_jen says:
Thanks Yunni, oh you've tried? ;p glad you loved it!
gingerbatik says:
congrats on the featured Jen. love Yee Sang:)

Check Kuala Lumpur Hotel Deals