Din Tai Fung

2730 6928

Din Tai Fung Hong Kong Reviews

gingerbatik gingerba…
Over Advertise for what it is Feb 01, 2015
This particular restaurant is famous in Hong Kong as it has one Michelin star award from the 2010 until now 2015.

The restaurant itself is very affordable and less expensive compare with other similar Michelin restaurants with the same award winner.

When we arrive there, there were long queue outside the restaurant door as the restaurant does not take any table booking, it is basically first come first serve basis.

We need to take a number from the reception outside and then the reception will call the number if the table is ready.

The waiting time is not that long, it was pretty quick for this kind of queue – as I expect it would be longer.

Our number was called and we were lead to the table and given the menu straightaway and a piece of paper to tick what food we want to order with the food name in Chinese character. Unfortunately I could not read Chinese character and we speaks English with the waiting staff since we know what we want to order (while waiting outside, we already check the menu).

She write it for us and less than five minutes, the food turn up at our table – which I found very surprising, since I expect the food would be fresh and piping hot.

Anyway, when the food arrive we found the “drunken chicken in Shaoxing rice wine” and string beans with minced pork was cold (as I expect it to be hot).

The chicken taste was okay, and the string beans was very tasty. It was just shame, if it was hot, I believe it would taste better.

The steamed shrimp and pork Shao-Mai was delicious with a ginger infuse soup base inside the flour wrapper and it melt in the mouth. It has one piece of shrimp on top of the wrapper and the pork inside it.

The steamed pork dumplings does not have much taste unfortunately compare with other steamed pork dumpling I had eaten at different restaurant.

The spicy shrimp and pork wonton was good – it was not too spicy and it has the right spiciness and the saltiness. Once again, this food was cold when arrive at our table – which I found very strange as I expect it too be hot dish.

The noodle with minced pork and bean sauce was okay but I did not find it enough salt and it also arrive at the table cold. The noodles arrangement was interesting, it seems very tidy noodles.

The dessert of steamed mini red bean paste bun and chilled sago soup with coconut milk and fruit were a disappointment to my taste bud. The red bean bun was okay, nothing special on it (it taste like other buns I had eaten at different restaurant before) and the chilled sago soup with coconut milk does not chilled enough and the sweet taste of it like they put in milk instead of liquid sugar.

Overall, food was good in quantity and quality but I did not find it much different in taste compare with other restaurants without Michelin award star. The service was good and polite, the waiting staff keep pouring and refiling the tea into our cups.

It seems the restaurant aims for high turnover diner, as people just go in and go out, not like other restaurants which allow guests to relax and chat after dinner.
drunken chicken in shaxing wine
string beans with mince pork in be…
steamed pork dumpling
noodles with minced pork and beans…
nolan says:
Congratulations on your featured review, Yunni!
Posted on: Feb 09, 2015
EmEm says:
Congrats on your featured review, Yunni!
Posted on: Feb 06, 2015
Glynnes says:
Congrats on being featured.
Posted on: Feb 06, 2015