Dili Rock coral

Dili, East Timor
Dili Rock coral - Dili Rock - clearly marked so there's no mistake!
Dili Rock coral - Looking down from Pope statue
Dili Rock coral - Twilight at Dili rock
Dili Rock coral - Bird's eye view of Dili Rock from helicopter.

Dili Rock coral Reviews

goezi goezi
Best snorkeling near Dili Apr 23, 2010
The Western entrance to Dili is marked by a fancy gateway and a cutting in a land formation when the road was built. What's left of the formation is now a large "rock" perched on the beach with it's toes in the surf. This is now known as Dili Rock and is reported to be the nicest area for snorkeling and/or diving.

If you still aren't confident you'll find it ask a taxi to take you there. Should be $2-5 and the promise of another $5 will have it back to pick you up at an appointed time.

With plenty of space to park our motorcycle, Kylie and I put on our masks and waded out through the waves. We were told the Dili side of the roack was the usual spot and as soon as we were out far enough to lay down we were able to see the rocky seafloor was already spotted with colour and small fish were darting about in the shallows around us.

Unfortunately due to some good downpours this week visibility was limited to no more than 5-6m so once we'd go out to that deapth we were unable to see much of the coral. Having said that we didn't really need to be much more deep than that anyway as there were plenty of coral varieties and even the odd creature (fish small, a big one reflecting bright blue and one of those cool blue starfish that looks like it's some kind of discarded beanbag) close in to the shore.

The water, though murky, was warm and an hour went by very quickly as we enjoyed the display beneath us but also had to be mindful of the waves crashing around us and our gear on the shore beside the bike.

All in all it was a pleasant time and I recommend this place for it's pretty coral and close promimity to Dili. The fact the crocodiles haven't found it yet is another bonus!
Dili Rock - clearly marked so ther…
Looking down from Pope statue
Twilight at Dili rock
Bird's eye view of Dili Rock from …
sarahsan says:
Thanks Chad! This was valuable information for me! Have a great week and enjoy the rest of your time in East Timor!
Posted on: May 03, 2010
goezi says:
Personally I think it's a safe spot. If there is trouble it's usually focused on each other rather than foreigners.
This is a beautiful country but it's pretty expensive compared to all it's Sth East Asian neighbours. Of course Dili prices are massive compared to the more remote district towns.
I say, "Do it!!"
I love this country and the people are very gracious. I could see myself returning in the future for sure.
Posted on: May 03, 2010
sarahsan says:
Potential trouble this year was not good news. I´m playing with the idea of may be visiting East Timor in November. Can´t believe how little the people make a day. No wonder it is "Bubbling" under the surface.
Posted on: May 02, 2010