Dik Dik Campsite

Serengeti National Park, Tanzania

Dik Dik Campsite Serengeti National Park Reviews

spocklogic spocklog…
A Safari Sensation Campsite Sep 12, 2011
There are two types of campsites inside Serengeti National Park, public campsites and special campsites. Special campsites are arranged by tour operators, who provide all the amenities for your experience including tents, a cook and temporary showers. They are more private and generally you are the only ones there, but these tend to be more expensive as well. Public campsites have a permanent toilet and shower facility and often a hot meal or boxed lunch can be obtained. Depending on the season, these can be crowded or relatively empty. Dik Dik campsite is of the public variety located near Seronera inside Serengeti National Park. The public campsites are all government owned and charge $30 USD.

There are several camp sites in this area, Pimbi, Nuani and Dik Dik. We passed Dik Dik and stopped at the next one, Pimbi, but it looked quite crowded with many rovers parked there. So, we backtracked and tried Dik Dik. To our surprise there were very few people here. We arrived quite late at night (see my "Lost in the Serengeti" journal entry), so this satisfied us. The ground was a bit rock strewn, but easy to sweep away and pitch a tent here, although the ground was a bit hard for staking the tents - using a foot and applying pressure works. To our surprise, we were offered a hot meal there. Oh, joy! That was a wonderful surprise...

By the time we finished pitching our tents, the meal was ready. It was quite good actually - tomato soup and chicken curry served with some bread. It was a well needed treat for the weary travelers we were (only 10,000 TZS, about $6 USD per person). After dinner, we were ready to try the showers. The outbuilding was set away from the campsite and has no electricity. So, we had to have a cold shower in the dark with only flashlights to see with. I didn't care, the cold shower was refreshing to me after the day we had. Feeling full and refreshed, we retired to our tents for much needed rest.

This campsite and others like it is the real Serengeti experience. You can hear the animals outside at night walking around, sniffing, snorting and such. It's a bit alarming at first, but quite thrilling actually once you get used to the idea. The advice in such campsites is not to wander too far away from the main area at night and stay in your tent, as there are no rangers here. I took this advice to heart and it was a wonderful experience to be close to nature like this. I highly recommend a safari campsite in the Serengeti for the sensation. There is an aspect of roughing it here, but if you don't mind that the experience is a rewarding one.

Waking in the morning, I was quite pleased at the landscape to be seen. There was a grassy plain with some trees and a small mountain in the distances complete with a wild beast grazing on some grass. Marvelous! I had a chance to walk about and take some photos of the campsite. It's a decent looking place and I believe the outbuilding where we showered the night before is located between Pimbi and Dik Dik, as you can see in the photos, although I did not wander too far to find out. Pimbi looked like the more popular site, but we were happy with our stay at Dik Dik, and it met our needs quite well. Despite the lack of electricity in the shower/toilet outbuilding, it was fairly clean and that hot meal the night before was a bonus. The safari sensation in nature is what you come for anyway, and it certainly met that beyond my expectations, so I give it 4 stars.
Dik Dik P/Campsite