Diebels im Hafen

Philosophenweg 31-33, Duisburg, Germany
diebels-im-hafen.de - +49 203 3466811
Diebels im Hafen - 'Ofenkartoffel mit Putensteaks' at Diebels im Hafen, Duisburg
Diebels im Hafen - 'Duisburger Currywurst' at Diebels im Hafen, Duisburg
Diebels im Hafen - Altbier at Diebels im Hafen, Duisburg

Diebels im Hafen Duisburg Reviews

SWFC_Fan SWFC_Fan
Altbier and Currywurst on the waterfront! Jan 26, 2017
We had enquired of the helpful staff at Duisburg Tourist Office as to where we should go to enjoy the city’s local cuisine during our visit in August 2016.

Two places were recommended to us; one was Webster Brauhaus (which was already number one on my list from my pre-trip research) and the other was Diebels im Hafen.

Diebels is a local brewery which is renowned for its Altbier. Diebels im Hafen is one of the brewery’s restaurants, located on the waterfront of Duisburg’s Inner Harbour (Innenhafen).

We visited on a sunny Saturday evening and it was busy. While the restaurant itself is located in a large brick building on the promenade, it also offers an outdoor dining terrace on a “floating” wooden platform on the water. We crossed a small bridge and found one the few vacant tables. Unlike most of the tables which were sheltered by large parasols, our table was uncovered. This surely wouldn’t be a problem on such a lovely evening? Wrong! Half way through our meal, a large black cloud came over, heavy rain started to fall and we hurriedly picked up our plates and glasses and relocated to a sheltered table!

The menu was in German and, although I could translate much of it with my schoolboy-level German, the friendly staff brought us an English-language menu to make things easier.

The menu featured salads, soups, baked potatoes, burgers, schnitzel, steaks and sausages.

I opted for:

Duisburger Currywurst - €8.90

An extra large German sausage, covered in a thick curry sauce. The waitress asked whether I would like it “spicy” or “fiery” - and I chose the latter. It didn’t disappoint; it left my lips and tongue tingling! Served with a dish of Krautsalat (coleslaw) and a large portion of chips. Very nice.

Emma opted for:

Ofenkartoffel mit Putensteaks - €11.90

A baked potato smothered in Kartoffelcreme (a creme fraiche dip with spring onions), with two grilled turkey steaks and a generous portion of salad. Emma enjoyed it.

Almost inevitably, I chose the Diebels Altbier (€4.10 for 500ml) to drink. It was a dark, copper-coloured beer, similar in taste to lager. I scored it at 3 out of 5 on Untappd (https://untappd.com/user/JMA79/checkin/353624057). Emma had a bottle of lemonade.

Opening Hours:

Mon-Sat: 12:00 - late

Sundays: 10:00 - late

Kitchen open daily from 12:00 - 22:00

Altbier and fiery currywurst by Duisburg’s waterfront. Recommended!
Diebels im Hafen, Duisburg
"Duisburger Currywurst" at Diebels…

Check Duisburg Hotel Deals