Diamond Head Crater Park

(808) 587-0300

Diamond Head Crater Park Honolulu Reviews

ambria ambria
Diamond Head Hike Oct 23, 2013
This is a very easy hike. It cost $1.00. You pay at the gate in front of the mountain. It is paved the whole way and there are a couple alternative hiking options. You hike the famous diamond head, you can also see the coast of Waikiki and much of the island. It is however, quite tourist-y and there is usually a lot of traffic. I think it's still worth doing. There is water, shaved ice, and snacks for sale at the base of the hike. Uh, there are some buses you can take here if you do not drive. Take one that goes to kapi'olani community college.
Making my way to the hike
road to hike
View from bunker on hike
KrasivayaKels Krasivay…
Diamond Head, Honolulu Mar 15, 2011
Climbing and viewing the Diamond Head crater is a definite must-do on Oahu! The climb is somewhat simple, and the view in the end is remarkable. Who wouldn't want to be at a high point on Oahu and over look the entire island? You see the beautiful sightings of the city on one side, on another you see the vast ocean and on another side you can view the jurassic park-like mountains and jungle! For only $2 to enter the park, you can spend countless hours as it's open lounging around. They sell water bottle and snacks as well. I would recommend going there if not for the sight, for a small picnic. It's beautiful.
Ashley5 Ashley5
Diamond Head Crater Sep 05, 2010
Hiking to the top of Diamond Head crater is a must do while in Hawaii. The view of Waikiki from the top of Diamond Head is incredible very much worth the hike to the top. I would recommend going very early in the morning before the sun comes up, to avoid making the hike with the hot sun on you and to get good parking. Also bring water with you and go to the bathroom before you start your hike, there is nowhere to go to the bathroom or buy water at the top. I'd also wear good walking shoes, the path is quite uneven and would be hard to walk in flip flops-at least it would be for me. The hike is not that hard or long, and you get great views even along the way before you reach the top. It is something very cheap to do in Hawaii and well worth it. From the top you can see all of Waikiki, the inside of the crater, the ocean, and the lighthouse.
the hike to the top of Diamond Head
the steep stairs
the tunnel
mr_shanet says:
glad u had fun, maybe i will do this next week.. congrats on feature.. i did the hike to the lighthouse, that was fun..
sarahsan says:
Congrats on todays featured review!
vulindlela says:
Kanoa Kanoa
The basic things Jul 16, 2009
When I was in Honolulu, Hawaii, one of the first things that caught my eye was of course Diamond Head. We walked to the crater and when we arrived at the Diamond Head Crater Park we were amazed by the actual size of it.

We started our hike down at the base and walked up the mountain trail through the tunnel and up the 99 step stairways. We then eventually reached the top and we got an official “Climbing Diamond Head” certificate. The price?? An amazing view on Waikiki!

The basic things you need when you walk up Diamond Head!

At first when you arrive at the base make sure you have either enough water or enough cash to buy some. There are vending machines and even a few food stands.

Make sure you'll wear good shoes and not flip flops like me.. :P It is not to hard to walk the trail with flip flops but I definitely not recommend it.

Some people tell you that you need a flashlight for the unlit tunnel, but it's really not necessary because all you need to do is to follow the light at the end of the tunnel

But the most important thing to bring along is a camera. Once you're up there you'll have a view that you'll never forget. Making this a worthfull experience for everyone.

I've been filming our trip to Diamond Head and you can watch it here if you want

Part 1

Part 2

(Yeah I know, quality isn't that good, and I sped the videos up)
Honolulu, View on Waikiki
With Aer on Diamond Head
m_mspr m_mspr
Hike Nov 25, 2009
Diamond Head hike is a nice hike that is not very hard. Take bus #23 and #24 from Waikiki and walk up to the crater. It only costs $1 to get in.

The hike is not hard, but there is some uneven terrain and at the end there are many stairs. It will take you about 30min each way. The view over Waikiki from the top is amazing and makes the hike worth it. Just remember to put on sunblock, sneakers and bring enough water.
Eric Eric
Fun hike, great views Dec 02, 2008
Hiking to the top of Diamond Head is a good afternoon excursion from nearby Waikiki. You can even walk here from the Waikiki boardwalk if you are so inclined, but it's probably easier to take a taxi.

Best part about Diamond Head is the views you get from the top. You can see all of Waikiki and the stunning coastline. Make sure to bring some water and good hiking shoes!
View from the top, on a cloudy day.
electricapples electric…
Diamond Head Crater Jul 25, 2003
Out of all the times I've been to Hawaii, I really never did anything touristy, due to the fact that my family are locals. Well, in July of 2003, I decided to venture off by myself to do something on the island I had not done before. Diamond Head Crater seemed like a good choice. I find volcanoes to be very interesting, so why not hike inside one? There were families of all kinds there, but I must warn you, this is not the easiest hike. Wear good shoes, put on the sunscreen, and bring some water. It gets hot inside the crater and your hike is very vertical. I thought I was in shape, until I did this hike. I had to stop a few times. I ended up befriending a mom that had fallen behind her family. We hiked up together at our own pace. The hike trail is very rocky and steep, but it is so worth it when you get to the top! It's incredibly beautiful. A sight many have not seen.
Sight from the top